WinRunner or TestPartner, which one is better? RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to select an auto-testing tool for our .NET desktop / client-server application, can somebody tell me WinRunner or TestPartner, which one is better?

Kevin

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 2:47 PM

Answers

• I am not sure what TestPartner supports, but Winrunner does not have .NET add-ins. We have to use Mercury's QTP for .NET. An additional fee for the add-in.
    Wednesday, November 8, 2006 3:13 PM

All replies

• I am not sure what TestPartner supports, but Winrunner does not have .NET add-ins. We have to use Mercury's QTP for .NET. An additional fee for the add-in.
    Wednesday, November 8, 2006 3:13 PM
  •  

Now, I got quote from mercury, now they only sale all-in-one, with .NET and others add on, about 10K per license. 

Thursday, November 9, 2006 6:48 PM
  • Before you make a choice review your software decision by trying it, winrunner is not a software for record and run, you have to tailor the scripts to your application. Winrunner is so far our best testing tool decision yet but it was kind of hard to set up at the begining.

win_mouse_click is not just click somewhere and keep going

the lib folder have to be created and compiled with the tailored functions

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:35 PM
  • As mentioned above you really need to try both with the application you are going to test. Which works best very much depends on what you are trying to test and what support the tools has for it. Its probably a QTP vs Testpartner question if its .NET. See what percentage of you application each tool can recognise in the object spy type tools, the more it can recognise the easier it will be to use. Also need to consider the training required qtp is probably more tester friendly where as TP uses a IDE more familiar to developers (VS).
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

TestPartner has inbuild support for .Net
    While You have to rely on separate addins /plugins to test .net based applications in case of many tools TestPartner allows adding .Net assembles as reference to your TestPartner Code during design Time itself.

Here is how it works :
    1. Case 1 - When You know the .Net Assembly /Control in your application
    a)In such a case you can browse .net references and add the .Net dll
    b)The .Net Dll is converted into an COM Interop by the tool for you

2)Case 2 -  When You do NOT know the .Net reference
    a) In such a case you can use Identify tool and point to a .net control TestPartner will intelligently find the .Net Dll for you.

Having an inbuild support has many advantages. Adding the .Net Reefrences and navigating through the object explorer to know the classes and methods in your Application under test being one among them.

I usually add .net references and try get the Classes used in your application under test so that i can write effective code.

Beyond this Using WinRunner requires to learn TSL whereas for TestPartner Good ol VBA is easy... VBA is the language behind excel macros.

MY TESTPARTNER - Writing Soon a Series of Articles on TestPartner
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:54 AM
  • With VS2010 release, we are also adding support for Functional UI Testing for Microsoft technologies.  The feature is called Coded UI Test.  Check out this video for starters.

Thanks,
    Gautam

Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:33 PM
  • I've used the Win runner and for me The winrunner is the best tool it is a old tool but the functionalities of the tools are user friendly and you no need to be a computer expert to run thr tool it really is a easy to use tool

Regards

AbhinavST

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:40 AM