adding and removing anchor points RRS feed

• Question

• expression design 4.

Is there a quicker way to add and remove anchor points from the stroke line of a rectangle?  Currently I am direct select the shape, click add anchor point, go back and direct select again, then add another anchor point, go back to direct select, etc.  Deleting is also a multi click operation. And I have to guess I deleted an anchor point because deleting one makes all the others disappear also. Only by direct selecting again do you see the one little guy is gone.

( I wish I was programming. )

thanks,

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi! Have you tried the "delete anchor point" and "add anchor point" tools? It's just above the spline. You can delete or add multiple points without reselecting things again.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 13, 2010 9:49 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:28 PM
  • You can use the normal selection tool, there's no need to use direct selection before or after add/delete node. While adding, the selected node is in red (or whatever is the layer color as explained by Fred), the other nodes are in white. So if you are adding a node, all but the one just added will be white. But, red white or what else, they are all nodes.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 13, 2010 10:36 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi! Have you tried the "delete anchor point" and "add anchor point" tools? It's just above the spline. You can delete or add multiple points without reselecting things again.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 13, 2010 9:49 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Steve, I strongly suggest that you review the Expression Design Help File.  Many or even most of the questions you are currently posting are covered.  If, after you have reviewed the Help file, you still have questions, then by all means, post 'em here.  Happy to help, once you have helped yourself.  Fair enough?

~Fred
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:45 PM
  • That is what I am using. Seems very odd though. 

I draw a rectangle.

Then direct selection on the stroke line, halfway down the side of the rectangle. The first odd thing is I get a white anchor dot in 3 of the corners. In the 4th corner is nothing, but there is a a small black square in the stroke line where I clicked the mouse ( direct selection. )

I click add anchor point, then click on the stroke line 1/4 way down on the left side of the rect. A white anchor dot appears in the 4th corner of the rect, the one that did not have it before. There is no white anchor dot where I clicked the add anchor tool.  

Still in add anchor mode, I click 1/2 way down the stroke line on the left side of the rect. The white anchor dot appears at the 1/4 way down location. ( where I clicked just before. )  No white dot appears at the 1/2 way down location.

Click the direct selection tool, click the stroke line of the rect.  Now I see the white anchor dot 1/2 down the left side of the rect. It is like there is a delay action going on.  Kind of confusing.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Steve, I strongly suggest that you review the Expression Design Help File.  Many or even most of the questions you are currently posting are covered.  If, after you have reviewed the Help file, you still have questions, then by all means, post 'em here.  Happy to help, once you have helped yourself.  Fair enough?

~Fred

absolutely.  appreciate the help.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:52 PM
  • Is your line color the same color as your Layer color?
    ~Fred
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Is your line color the same color as your Layer color?
    ~Fred

layer color as in fill color?  Fill: none.  Stroke: Red.  Stoke is basic. Width: 5px.   My ED4 version is 7.0.20516.0.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:00 PM
  • In the Layers palette, usually below the Appearances palette you will see the layer color shown as a small square.  Go to the little 'gear' in the lower left and choose Layer Options>Layer Color and change to something other than red.  Your stroke is red and the default color for Layer one (1) is red; is that it?

~Fred

forgot--there must be something on the layer--no color shown on empty layer.

• Edited by Fred C_ Monday, September 13, 2010 10:09 PM add
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:07 PM
  • You can use the normal selection tool, there's no need to use direct selection before or after add/delete node. While adding, the selected node is in red (or whatever is the layer color as explained by Fred), the other nodes are in white. So if you are adding a node, all but the one just added will be white. But, red white or what else, they are all nodes.

• Marked as answer by Steve Richter Monday, September 13, 2010 10:36 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:29 PM
  • ...  While adding, the selected node is in red (or whatever is the layer color as explained by Fred), the other nodes are in white. So if you are adding a node, all but the one just added will be white. But, red white or what else, they are all nodes.

smacks head.  The stroke line was red.  That is why I was not seeing the just clicked anchor dot. Changed to green.  What a great, easy to use product!

thanks,

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:38 PM