none
Not able to delete linked service RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to delete an ADF Linked Service but I continue to get the following error:

Error: Not able to delete linked service, message returned from service - The document cannot be deleted since it is referenced by km_sales_transactions_dev.

This doesn't make sense since I've already deleted the km_sales_transactions_dev data set. Is there anyway to get around this?

Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi David

Thanks for reaching out. It looks like you might have deleted 'km_sales_transactions_dev' from collaboration branch but not from 'adf_publish'. Could you please change your Azure Data Factory from 'Git' Mode to 'Data Factory' mode and verify if 'km_sales_transactions_dev' still present/exist in 'Data Factory' mode (i.e., adf_publish branch). 

If it exists in 'Data Factory' mode, then you will have to first delete ''km_sales_transactions_dev'' from 'adf_publish' branch and then sync 'adf_publish' branch code to your collaboration branch and then try deleting your linked service. This should help you resolve the issue. 

Please give a try and let us know how it goes. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:28 PM
  • The adf_publish branch is disabled in the drop-down therefore I cannot do what you're suggesting. Additionally, if I try to navigate to the branch in DevOps I get the following:

Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:32 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your response. Were you able to change from "Azure DevOps GIT" to "Data Factory" mode? 
    One thing you can do to verify if 'km_sales_transactions_dev is deleted/exists in "adf_publish" is to clone latest code to a new collaboration branch and check if  'km_sales_transactions_dev' exists. 

I'm confident that, it should be present in latest synced code. If so, you need to delete 'km_sales_transactions_dev first and publish the data factory from your new collaboration branch and then try deleting linked service.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Friday, May 22, 2020 9:13 PM
  • Please see my previous reply. The adf_publish branch is not available.
    Saturday, May 23, 2020 3:05 AM
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the confusion. Could you please confirm if you have published your collaboration branch after deleting 'km_sales_transactions_dev' ? If not could you please try below. 

• Try deleting 'km_sales_transactions_dev' and publish the collaboration branch.
    • Then try to delete the linked service.

Please let us know how it goes. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:11 AM
  • I get a message that there are no changes to publish. I had to remove the repo, changed to Data Factory mode, delete everything and start over.
    23 hours 25 minutes ago
  • Hey David,

Linked Services are unique in ADF as they can store personally identifiable information such as credentials as passwords. As a result, these secrets are not saved in Git, but published and encrypted directly in the ADF service. As a result, linked services are automatically published when you make changes to them. If a dataset is referencing them in any other branch, you will get the above error.

To prevent these issues in the future, I recommend using Azure Key Vault or Managed Identity for your linked service passwords.

Thanks,

Daniel

19 hours 24 minutes ago