none
Windows Mobile 6.5 development version check. RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in purchasing this device:http://www.barcodesinc.com/motorola/part-mc75a0-p30swrqa9wr.htm#specs

Which states the OS is WM 6.5

I am using Visual Studio 2008 Pro to develop my application and I have downloaded the WM 6 SDK, and the Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional Developer Tool Kit (USA) and Installed both.

When I run VS I indeed see the Target Platform to be Windows Mobile 6. When I run my application and look at the Emulator's About screen it reads:
    Windows Mobile 6 Classic
    CE OS 5.2.1235 (Build 17740.0.2.0)

My application works perfectly but I want to make sure that it will run on a WM 6.5 device. 

Will a "Target Platform" of "Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK" work on a 6.5 device?

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need not to maintain two sets of code for this. you can change target platform to Windows CE. But form factor will be automatically changed when it is targetd to Widnows CE.

Right click  project explorer --> Select "Change target platform" --> select "Windows CE"

This will help you to target to any WM platform with single code base.

-Malleswar

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As Windows Mobile 6.5 is just DTK, it wont be appeared in Targeted Platforms while creating the project.

But you can select Windows Mobile 6.5 emulators in target device drop down.

You can even check in Device emulator manager.

-Malleswar

Friday, May 9, 2014 4:58 AM
  • So then seeing this is what I should expect for my Target Platform?
    I will ensure I have the 6.5 DTK installed. 
    I also went to the Device Emu Manager and I do see 6.5 content. SO I must have installed everything correctly.

Monday, May 12, 2014 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you have installed everything correctly. You can select as it is shown in below screen and can run on 6.5 emulator.

-Malleswar

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Is there an easy way to use the same source code but port to both WM 5, 6, 6.5?

I copied my project and changed the target platform.  I have scanners that are 5.0 and some that are 6.5 .  I would really not like to have to manage 2 sets of code.  Is there anything I can in the project to allow for cross platform compatibility?
    Monday, May 12, 2014 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

You need not to maintain two sets of code for this. you can change target platform to Windows CE. But form factor will be automatically changed when it is targetd to Widnows CE.

Right click  project explorer --> Select "Change target platform" --> select "Windows CE"

This will help you to target to any WM platform with single code base.

-Malleswar

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:05 AM
  • Well that would be great.  So Windows CE is any WM OS?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Windows CE is the OS, WM is a specific customization of Windows CE.

WM 5-6.5 is based on CE 5, hence the version 5.x you see.

While you indeed don't need to maintain two set of code I would not recommend switching platform to CE, that would mess up your designers without changing any actual code.

Generally if you're using managed code target platform has little to no effect. To be on a safe side switch to the lowest version you need to support, e.g. WM 5. WM 6 and 6.5 would be automatically supported because of backwards compatibility.

That assumes you're not using any WM 6.x specific features and using the same NETCF version across all platforms.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:16 PM
  • I just found out the device has 6.5.3 Professional.  Does that change the answer? or is what I have good for any 6.5.x device?

Thanks.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Yep, that should be fine.

Note however that there's a big difference between touch screen devices (e.g. Pro or Classic) and non-touch devices (e.g. Standard or SmartPhone). 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:00 AM