unable to upload a file, unable to save a new file, unable to insert image RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

I run my own web server. I recently switched from IIS6 to an IIS7.5 server. On IIS6 i had the frontpage extensions installed. on the new server i have webdav installed instead.

I can open up a website in ms web expression 3 just fine. i can open and edit an existing page. however, if i try to insert an image into that page, web expression prompts me for a user/pass login for a completely different site that i also maintain. Why is it trying to open up another website when i click on the insert image button?

another problem i have is trying to upload an existing file. if i drag the file from the desktop to the folder in web expression, it immediately comes back with a invalid server response message. But when i look in the log file i see this:
    2009-11-10 20:00:29 74.208.66.58 PROPFIND /images/Evora01.jpg - 80 xxx\administrator 67.49.38.82 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MS+FrontPage+12.0) - - mysite.com 200 0 0 9293 608 280

looks like the server is returning a response code of 200, which is basically OK no error.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here and how to fix it? I'd rather not install the frontpage extensions since that's basically dead technology since MS no longer supports it.

thanks
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:26 PM

Answers

• Ok, some additional information. I decided to run EW while fiddler was running and got some results that look odd to me.

There are several requests for /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc and /_vti_inf.html

and both of those are returning a status code of 200 - shouldn't they return a status code of 404? The html file was actually there - so i deleted it. I then tried requesting that file in the browser - and i got a customized 404 error page but it was apparently returning a 200 status code instead of 404. I just modified the error page to return a 404 status code and now EW seems to be working correctly.

i do have one question though - is it normal for EW to make 127 individual requests to the server just to save a new file? I did a very simple test - just clicked on the new document button, it opened up a new html page, i clicked the save button, named it test.html and saved it. and fiddler is showing 127 requests to the server just to save that new html page. Is that normal?

Thanks for the help
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• !. you have somehow set a different site as the default insert image site and the settings is stored in the registry here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Expression\Web\3.0 the whatever is set for the valuename: Default Add Image Directory is the location EW 3 uses.

Run regedit and got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Expression\Web\3.0 right click the ValueName:
    Default Add Image Directory click Modify and clear the Value Data field.

You can not drag and drop an image from a desktop to a server location using http:// that can only be done with the web opened using ftp://

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:47 PM
  • thanks for the reply (unfortunately the 'alert me' option doesn't seem to work or i would have replied sooner).

I tried what you just suggested regarding the image - there's no such key in the registry. The only keysi have that start with the word default are:
    default view tab
    defaultprooflongid
    defaultwebname

I looked for anything else that might be related to images but found nothing.

and regarding the images - i'm talking about dragging and dropping the image from my desktop to a folder that's open in web expression. This is something i was able to do when using the FP extensions. This is something i should be able to do if i map a drive to a webdav enabled site (i dont want to do this since i dont want a ton of mapped drive locations). So i dont understand why I shouldn't be able to do this through web expression.

Also, if i open the site up in WE3, click on new file - aspx - and then try to save it, i get a popup message:

An error occurred accessing your site configuration files. authors - if authroing against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this server's site. Webmaster - please see the server's app event log for more details. 

After clicking ok, it prompts me to save the file on my local PC rather then letting me save it on the remote site.
    • Proposed as answer by Martin Main Friday, February 24, 2012 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:45 PM
  • [ Just an FYI, and nothing to do with your issue: it's not "Web Expresssion" or WE3.  It's "Expression Web" and EW3. ]
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:48 PM
  • and regarding the images - i'm talking about dragging and dropping the image from my desktop to a folder that's open in web expression. This is something i was able to do when using the FP extensions. This is something i should be able to do if i map a drive to a webdav enabled site (i dont want to do this since i dont want a ton of mapped drive locations). So i dont understand why I shouldn't be able to do this through web expression.
    This one sounds like a known bug that is fixed in the upcoming service pack.  In Expression Web 2, when you dragged a file, any file, to the Folder List task pane, it would drop it into the selected folder in that pane.  In Expression Web 3, if there is a file currently open in the editor, dropping a file onto the Folder List tries to drop it into the folder that is associated with the open file, not the folder you have selected.

If you still see the problem even if you have no files open, then it's not the same issue.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:18 AM
  • Ok i just tried it with nothing open. I dragged an image file from my desktop to a folder in the folder list and got the pop up message i described earlier. I also tried dragging it to the folder in site view - same results.

Anything i can do further to try to resolve these issues?

thanks
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Okay, it's definitely not the bug I thought it was.  Ian, would you be willing to give us access to your server and site (or some suitable stripped-down version of your site)?  Without that, it's tough to know what the problem might be, since I've never heard of any issues like these.

I wonder if Expression Web is still trying to access your server via the Front-Page Server Extensions rather than recognizing that you're using WebDAV?  One thing you can do to check that is to open a local copy of your site, set up a publishing destination to the server version of the site, making sure to specify WebDAV as the connection type.  Once connected to the remote site, click the link at the bottom right of the Publishing View to get Expression Web to open your remote site in a new instance of Expression Web.  If things start working properly for you in that new instance, then that was the issue.  If not, then that's not it, either.

If you can give us access to your server, you can reach me at my microsoft.com alias of paulbart to give me the details.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for offering to look into it. Your mentioning that it might still be trying to connect via frontpage gave me an idea. This site WAS originally frontpage enabled and i used the ms deploy tool to migrate the site over to iis7. at the time this also migrated the frontpage settings in IIS and i removed the mapping to the fp dll since it wasn't installed on iis7.

however, there were still some fp folders - mainly the _vti_cnf folders that frontpage created in every folder.

If expression web sees those folders, does it cause a problem? I didn't bother cleaning them out since I just assumed that weren't doing anything other then taking up a few bytes of hard drive space. 

Is there a quick/easy way to clear out all those frontpage created folders?

thanks
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Without the full details of server responses, I hesitate to say for sure, but the response you posted here is a response to a PROPFIND, so it looks like it IS using WebDAV at least for that particular operation.

Jim Cheshire
    Jimco Software and Books
    jimcosoftware.com
    jimcobooks.com
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Well i just tried removing all the vti_cnf folders that were in the site - had no effect on expression web. I still cant save a new file to the site. I can't drag and drop a file into the site and clicking on the insert image button also fails.

Here's what i have for this site in the application config file (i've XXX out anything that i thought was sensitive)

<site name="XXXX" id="1846109332" serverAutoStart="true">
                    <application path="/" applicationPool="AspNet2.0">
                        <virtualDirectory path="/" physicalPath="d:\inetpub\wwwroot\XXXX\site" password="[enc:AesProvider:XXXXX=:enc]" />
                    </application>
                    <bindings>
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXXX:80:XXXX.com" />
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXX:80:www.XXXX.com" />
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXX:80:XXXX.com" />
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXXX:80:www.XXXX.com" />
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXX:80:XXXX.com" />
                        <binding protocol="http" bindingInformation="XXXX:www.XXXX.com" />
                    </bindings>
                    <logFile logExtFileFlags="Date, Time, ClientIP, UserName, ServerIP, Method, UriStem, UriQuery, HttpStatus, Win32Status, BytesSent, BytesRecv, TimeTaken, ServerPort, UserAgent, Cookie, Referer, ProtocolVersion, Host, HttpSubStatus" logFormat="W3C" directory="d:\inetpub\wwwroot\XXXX\logs" period="Daily" truncateSize="20971520" localTimeRollover="true" />
                </site>

<location path="XXX">
            <system.webServer>
                <directoryBrowse enabled="false" showFlags="Date, Time, Size, Extension, LongDate" />
                <handlers accessPolicy="Read, Script">
                    <clear />
                    <add name="PHP-FastCGI" path="*.php" verb="*" modules="FastCgiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\PHP\php-cgi.exe" resourceType="Either" />
                    <add name="ISAPI-dll" path="*.dll" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Execute" allowPathInfo="true" />
                    <add name="TraceHandler-Integrated" path="trace.axd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Web.Handlers.TraceHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="WebAdminHandler-Integrated" path="WebAdmin.axd" verb="GET,DEBUG" type="System.Web.Handlers.WebAdminHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="AssemblyResourceLoader-Integrated" path="WebResource.axd" verb="GET,DEBUG" type="System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="PageHandlerFactory-Integrated" path="*.aspx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="SimpleHandlerFactory-Integrated" path="*.ashx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Web.UI.SimpleHandlerFactory" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" path="*.asmx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory, System.Web.Services, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="HttpRemotingHandlerFactory-rem-Integrated" path="*.rem" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpRemotingHandlerFactory, System.Runtime.Remoting, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="HttpRemotingHandlerFactory-soap-Integrated" path="*.soap" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" type="System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpRemotingHandlerFactory, System.Runtime.Remoting, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" preCondition="integratedMode" />
                    <add name="CGI-exe" path="*.exe" verb="*" modules="CgiModule" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Execute" allowPathInfo="true" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-166151093" path="*.asp" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-166151094" path="*.cer" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-166151095" path="*.cdx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-166151096" path="*.asa" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-166151097" path="*.idc" verb="GET,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\httpodbc.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851612" path="*.shtm" verb="GET,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851613" path="*.shtml" verb="GET,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851614" path="*.stm" verb="GET,POST" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\ssinc.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851615" path="*.asax" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851616" path="*.ascx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851617" path="*.ashx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851618" path="*.asmx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851619" path="*.aspx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851620" path="*.axd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851621" path="*.vsdisco" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851622" path="*.rem" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851623" path="*.soap" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851624" path="*.config" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851625" path="*.cs" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851626" path="*.csproj" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851627" path="*.vb" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851628" path="*.vbproj" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851629" path="*.webinfo" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851630" path="*.licx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851631" path="*.resx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851632" path="*.resources" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851633" path="*.master" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851634" path="*.skin" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851635" path="*.compiled" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851636" path="*.browser" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851637" path="*.mdb" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851638" path="*.jsl" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851639" path="*.vjsproj" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851640" path="*.sitemap" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851641" path="*.msgx" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851642" path="*.ad" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851643" path="*.dd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851644" path="*.ldd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851645" path="*.sd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851646" path="*.cd" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851647" path="*.adprototype" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851648" path="*.lddprototype" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851649" path="*.sdm" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851650" path="*.sdmDocument" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851651" path="*.ldb" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851652" path="*.svc" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851653" path="*.mdf" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851654" path="*.ldf" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851655" path="*.java" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851656" path="*.exclude" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="AboMapperCustom-312851657" path="*.refresh" verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="File" requireAccess="Script" preCondition="classicMode,bitness32,runtimeVersionv2.0" responseBufferLimit="0" />
                    <add name="WebDAV" path="*" verb="PROPFIND,PROPPATCH,MKCOL,PUT,COPY,DELETE,MOVE,LOCK,UNLOCK" modules="WebDAVModule" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" />
                    <add name="TRACEVerbHandler" path="*" verb="TRACE" modules="ProtocolSupportModule" requireAccess="None" />
                    <add name="OPTIONSVerbHandler" path="*" verb="OPTIONS" modules="ProtocolSupportModule" requireAccess="None" />
                    <add name="StaticFile" path="*" verb="*" modules="StaticFileModule,DefaultDocumentModule,DirectoryListingModule" resourceType="Either" requireAccess="Read" />
                </handlers>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                        <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" />
                        <anonymousAuthentication enabled="true" />
                        <digestAuthentication enabled="false" />
                        <basicAuthentication enabled="false" />
                    </authentication>
                    <requestFiltering>
                        <fileExtensions applyToWebDAV="false" />
                        <verbs applyToWebDAV="false" />
                        <hiddenSegments applyToWebDAV="false" />
                    </requestFiltering>
                </security>
                <defaultDocument enabled="true">
                    <files>
                        <clear />
                        <add value="index.aspx" />
                        <add value="Default.htm" />
                        <add value="Default.asp" />
                        <add value="index.htm" />
                        <add value="Default.aspx" />
                    </files>
                </defaultDocument>
                <isapiFilters>
                </isapiFilters>
                <httpErrors>
                    <clear />
                    <error statusCode="400" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\400.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-1.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="2" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-2.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="3" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-3.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="4" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-4.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="5" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-5.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="401" subStatusCode="7" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\401-1.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-1.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="2" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-2.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="3" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-3.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="4" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-4.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="5" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-5.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="6" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-6.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="7" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-7.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="8" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-8.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="9" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-9.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="10" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-10.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="11" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-11.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="12" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-12.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="13" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-13.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="15" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-15.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="16" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-16.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="17" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-17.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="18" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="19" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="403" subStatusCode="20" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\403-20.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="404" subStatusCode="-1" path="/404.aspx" responseMode="ExecuteURL" />
                    <error statusCode="404" subStatusCode="2" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\404b.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="404" subStatusCode="3" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\404b.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="405" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\405.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="406" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\406.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="407" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\407.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="412" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\412.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="414" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\414.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="415" subStatusCode="-1" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\415.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="12" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500-12.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="13" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500-13.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="15" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500-15.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="16" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="17" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="18" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500.htm" responseMode="File" />
                    <error statusCode="500" subStatusCode="19" path="c:\WINDOWS\help\iisHelp\common\500.htm" responseMode="File" />
                </httpErrors>
                <httpProtocol>
                    <customHeaders>
                        <clear />
                        <add name="MicrosoftOfficeWebServer" value="5.0_Pub" />
                        <add name="X-Powered-By" value="ASP.NET" />
                    </customHeaders>
                </httpProtocol>
                <webdav>
                    <authoring enabled="true" />
                    <authoringRules>
                        <add roles="administrators" path="*" access="Read, Write, Source" />
                    </authoringRules>
                </webdav>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_private">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                        <clientCertificateMappingAuthentication enabled="false" />
                        <iisClientCertificateMappingAuthentication enabled="false" />
                    </authentication>
                    <access sslFlags="None" />
                </security>
                <handlers accessPolicy="None" />
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_vti_cnf">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_vti_log">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_vti_pvt">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_vti_script">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
                <handlers accessPolicy="Read, Script" />
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/_vti_txt">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/Admin">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                        <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" />
                        <anonymousAuthentication enabled="false" />
                        <digestAuthentication enabled="false" />
                        <basicAuthentication enabled="false" />
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/aspnet_client">
            <system.webServer>
                <directoryBrowse enabled="false" showFlags="None" />
                <handlers accessPolicy="Read" />
                <defaultDocument enabled="false" />
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/bin">
            <system.webServer>
                <directoryBrowse enabled="false" showFlags="None" />
                <defaultDocument enabled="false" />
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/fpdb">
            <system.webServer>
                <security>
                    <authentication>
                    </authentication>
                </security>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/PhotoGallery">
            <system.webServer>
            </system.webServer>
        </location>
        <location path="XXX/PhotoGallery/Images">
            <system.webServer>
                <handlers accessPolicy="Read" />
            </system.webServer>
        </location>

I do notice there are a few entries in there for frontpage related directories, even though i deleted them. I removed all the entries in the config file but I'm still having the problem. Is there an easy way to clean these entries out for all the other sites i host other then manually searching for and deleting them?

Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Are you using a multi boot / multi system machine by any chance.
    The reason I ask is because I've always been told that IIS has to run on the same drive as the system
    and in what you posted, the physical path shows as:  physicalPath="d:\inetpub\wwwroot\XXXX\site"

Have you checked permissions on D:\ if in fact it is not the system "root" drive
    Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Ok, some additional information. I decided to run EW while fiddler was running and got some results that look odd to me.

There are several requests for /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc and /_vti_inf.html

and both of those are returning a status code of 200 - shouldn't they return a status code of 404? The html file was actually there - so i deleted it. I then tried requesting that file in the browser - and i got a customized 404 error page but it was apparently returning a 200 status code instead of 404. I just modified the error page to return a 404 status code and now EW seems to be working correctly.

i do have one question though - is it normal for EW to make 127 individual requests to the server just to save a new file? I did a very simple test - just clicked on the new document button, it opened up a new html page, i clicked the save button, named it test.html and saved it. and fiddler is showing 127 requests to the server just to save that new html page. Is that normal?

Thanks for the help
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Are you using a multi boot / multi system machine by any chance.
    The reason I ask is because I've always been told that IIS has to run on the same drive as the system
    and in what you posted, the physical path shows as:  physicalPath="d:\inetpub\wwwroot\XXXX\site"

Have you checked permissions on D:\ if in fact it is not the system "root" drive
    Expression Web MVP
    It's not a multi-boot system. Windows is installed on C drive - all the websites and their associated files are on D. I've done it this way before. See the post i made shortly after your post - i found out what the problem was. This particular site had a custom 404 error page and that page was returning a status code of 200. So when EW was requesting the FP related files, the server was returning a 200 response which i guess upset EW. I modified the 404 page to return a 404 response code and now EW seems to be working.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:55 PM
  • that bug that you mentioned before, is the error message for that one:

The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because an invalid method (HTTP verb) is being used.

On another site - same server - i just received that error trying to drag and drop a file into a folder. I tried closing everything in EW before doing it but still get the same error.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:25 AM
  • and both of those are returning a status code of 200 - shouldn't they return a status code of 404? The html file was actually there - so i deleted it. I then tried requesting that file in the browser - and i got a customized 404 error page but it was apparently returning a 200 status code instead of 404. I just modified the error page to return a 404 status code and now EW seems to be working correctly.
    Glad to hear that you got that worked out.  I've never heard of that particular error before but it doesn't surprise me that Expression Web was behaving oddly with the server returning that particular error.

Yes and no.  For saving a simple file, no.  But what you were doing was a Save As... operation.  That brings up the Windows file dialog, which activates code that we install to support browsing your remote site.  Assuming that your Fiddler data is accurate, it wasn't doing 127 requests to save a single page; it was doing 127 requests to retrieve information about your site and the files in it to display in the file dialog.  Once you've saved the page and closed the dialog, try editing the page, then doing a Ctrl+S or File->Save.  You should see a lot fewer server requests in that scenario.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:48 PM
  • ah, yes you're right. I just tried saving an existing file and it generated 9 requests.

Should i start a new thread regarding that other error i mentioned 1 or 2 posts back? The one about the invalid http verb?

thanks for your help.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:53 PM
  • I didn't really do anything to help, since you solved this one on your own, thankfully, but you are, of course, welcome.

I think we can use this thread to discuss the other issue.  That, too, is a new one on me.  Can you walk me through the scenario again?

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web 
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Well you got me going in the right direction at least since you had me looking at the frontpage stuff again. 

anyhow, i can't reproduce that other error right now. It's working. When it was failing, i was trying to take an image file and drag/drop it into the site and it was returning that error that i mentioned above. I'll play around with it some more later today and see if i can reproduce the error. I can't think of any changes i've done on the server end to account for the error being resolved. 

Thanks
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:57 PM