Apps does not work on the HP Touchsmart 600

Question

• Hello All,

I installed the Windows 8 64 bit version on the HP touchsmart 600 unit, but none of the Apps open, for e.g, if i click on the weather tile, it just shows be a blue background with weather and after about 20 seconds it just gets back to the Start page. The same symptoms are exhibited whenever I click on any of the installed apps.

However when I installed this on a dv6800 notebook, (non touch), the apps work perfectly fine. The only other difference I have seen is the touchsmart has a Full HD resolution wheras the notebook has a 1024x resolution. I tried lowering the screen resolution on the touchsmart to see if the apps work, but the issue remains the same.

Is there a compatibility issue with the HP Touchsmart 600 unit? Or can you let me know how to fix this?

• Edited by Jolly Rogers Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:25 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:18 PM

Answers

• I have Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit with developer tools installed on my Touchsmart 600

I'm running on resolution 1920 x 1080 and everything is working great- including the apps

I noticed, however, that I got better graphics performance (especially when playing videos) when I upgraded from the basic windows graphics driver to the driver that came with the Touchsmart (in he Recovery partition). The exact location inside your Recovery partition is \hp\Drv\APP01608 but keep mind that the entire Recovery partition and its subfolders are hidden as protected system files by Windows so  you'll need to enable that view first

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

For the metro applications to run you need the minimum resolution of 1024x768.    Some notebooks run at 600 instead of 768.  You can check your resolution using the control panel.  If that is the case for your device and you have an external monitor you may want to try hooking it up and increasing the resolution.

-Curt

Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hello Curt,

The screen resolution on my Touchsmart 600 is 1980 X 1080. None of the Metro Apps work. I have done a clean reinstall, still the same issue.

On the notebook, everything works fine and I have a screen resolution of 1024 X 768. I tried to reduce the screen resolution to 1024 X 768, but still the Metro Apps does not work.

MKV
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:40 AM
  • I have Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit with developer tools installed on my Touchsmart 600

I'm running on resolution 1920 x 1080 and everything is working great- including the apps

I noticed, however, that I got better graphics performance (especially when playing videos) when I upgraded from the basic windows graphics driver to the driver that came with the Touchsmart (in he Recovery partition). The exact location inside your Recovery partition is \hp\Drv\APP01608 but keep mind that the entire Recovery partition and its subfolders are hidden as protected system files by Windows so  you'll need to enable that view first

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:08 AM