none
How to read connection strings from app.config RRS feed

• Question

• In asp.net, it's easy:

dim con as new data.sqlclient.sqlconnection(System.configuration.configurationmanager.ConnectionStrings("ConnectionString").tostring)

does the trick

In a client application though, ConfigurationManager is not recognized.  So in the app.config I put:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ParkerReportingValidation.MySettings.ReportingConnectionString"

connectionString="Data Source=SATURN;Initial Catalog=ParkerReporting;User ID=sa;Pooling=False"/>

</connectionStrings>

and try to read the connection string with

Dim ConString as string = My.Settings.ReportingConnectionString

but it doesn't work.

I see the error ReportingConnectionString is not a member of ParkerReportingValidation.My.MySettings.  From my reading, it seems I'm not alone.  What's the trick?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 1:08 AM

Answers

• I think I'm in love.

The secret was adding a reference to system.configuration.  My final code looks like this, and I know it will work because I do this all the time in asp.net

In the app.config:

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ParkerReporting"

connectionString="Data Source=SATURN;Initial Catalog=ParkerReporting;User ID=sa;Pooling=False"/>

</connectionStrings>

In the actual form:

Dim con As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ParkerReporting").ToString)

In an asp.net application, when the web.config file is created, by default it adds a namespace for system.configuration in the <namespaces> tag of the <pages> tag.  In an application, app.config does not add a <namespaces> tag by default.  Food for thought.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:56 AM

All replies

• Joe,

1. Add a reference to System.Configuration

2. Add the proper SQL connection string to app.config

Code Snippet

<appSettings>

<add key="ParkerSQLConnection" value="Data Source=SATURN;Initial Catalog=ParkerReporting;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=**************************************" />

</appSettings>

3. Execute the following code:

Code Snippet

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Module Module1

Sub Main()

Dim sqlConnection As New SqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("ParkerSQLConnection"))

Dim sqlCommand As New SqlCommand("SELECT GETDATE()")

Try

With sqlCommand

.Connection = sqlConnection

.CommandType = CommandType.Text

End With

sqlConnection.Open()

Console.WriteLine(sqlCommand.ExecuteScalar)

Catch ex As Exception

Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)

Finally

sqlConnection.Close()

sqlCommand.Dispose()

sqlConnection.Dispose()

End Try

End Sub

End Module

Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:41 AM
  • I think I'm in love.

The secret was adding a reference to system.configuration.  My final code looks like this, and I know it will work because I do this all the time in asp.net

In the app.config:

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="ParkerReporting"

</connectionStrings>

In the actual form:

Dim con As New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ParkerReporting").ToString)

In an asp.net application, when the web.config file is created, by default it adds a namespace for system.configuration in the <namespaces> tag of the <pages> tag.  In an application, app.config does not add a <namespaces> tag by default.  Food for thought.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:56 AM