how do you transfer data between two web applications? RRS feed

• Question

• User436443328 posted

Hi All,

how do you transfer data between two web applications?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• User-419902300 posted

If you wanted to go simpler than that, you could use POST and GET commands for the communication, I had a project whereby I had to POST values to a secure transaction system, which worked nicely from an interoperability point of view.

However to summarise the suggestions:

• POST/GET.
    • Webservices.
    • Centralised (shared) database.
    • RSS feed.

Yes querystring too, but if your looking for a security safety / good architecture approach, you should really stick to the more server-side methods - just a personal view.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:28 AM

All replies

• User-1360095595 posted

For simple (non-security sensitive) data I would think QueryString would do. 

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:06 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

The question is a bit vague, but you could use an intermediate like a Database to store the information.  Then each site queries the database independently to get the 'shared' information.  This might be the best solution if the sites are hosted on different servers.  If a Database is not available, another option you could consider the intermediate to be a service exposed which both sites can see as well.

Another consideration would be to use 'Application' level variables.  These variables can hold information available to all web sites running on the same server. 

Lastly, the QueryString is an option, but is has limitations and nothing passed should be sensitive in nature.

You may want to read over the following link for some more ideas:

How to: Pass Values Between ASP.NET Web Pages:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6c3yckfw.aspx

Hope this helps! Smile

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:16 PM
  • User436443328 posted

What about a web service to put data on the db ? another web service to get the data?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:29 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

Sure, but you don't need (2) web services for that.  Just use the same service, but different exposed methods for different purposes.   

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:36 PM
  • User433331702 posted

I use Caspio. It's a fast and easy way to build web forms and apps without coding. You can create apps to collect and share data within a hosted database. http://www.caspio.com/web-database-platform/?s=282

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:56 PM
  • User-419902300 posted

If you wanted to go simpler than that, you could use POST and GET commands for the communication, I had a project whereby I had to POST values to a secure transaction system, which worked nicely from an interoperability point of view.

However to summarise the suggestions:

• POST/GET.
    • Webservices.
    • Centralised (shared) database.
    • RSS feed.

Yes querystring too, but if your looking for a security safety / good architecture approach, you should really stick to the more server-side methods - just a personal view.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:28 AM