Exchange Server on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

We are planning to build email system (Exchange server) on the cloud (Azure). We are curious why on Azure we need SendGrid as SMTP relay but in on-premises, SendGrid is not required?

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 7:51 AM

All replies

• I recently worked on a project where I had to install Exchange Server 2016 on an Azure VM and I chose a D2 sized Azure VM (2 cores, 7GB RAM) thinking that will suffice, well that was a big mistake.
    The installation made it to the last step before a warning appeared informing me that the server is low on memory resources and eventually terminated the installation, leaving it incomplete.
    Let this be a warning to the rest of you, choose a D3 or above sized Azure VM to save yourself a whole lot of agony.
    To try and salvage the Exchange install I attempted to re-run the installation as it detects an incomplete installation and tries to pick up where it failed previously, this did not work.
    I then tried to uninstall Exchange completely by running command: “Setup.exe /mode:Uninstall /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms”. This also did not work as it was trying to uninstall an Exchange role that never got installed, this left me one option manually remove Exchange from Active Directory and rebuild the Azure VM. 
    To remove the Exchange organisation from Active Directory I had to complete the following steps;

On a Domain Controller | Open ADSI Edit
    Connect to the Configuration naming contextconfig-naming-context
    Expand Services
    Delete CN=Microsoft Exchange and CN=Microsoft Exchange Autodiscoverconfig-exchange-objects
    Connect to the Default naming contextdefault-naming-context
    Under the root OU delete OU=Microsoft Exchange Security Groups and CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects delete-exchange-objects
    Open Active Directory Users and Computers
    Select the Users OU
    Delete the following:
    DiscoverySearchMailbox{GUID}
    Exchange Online-ApplicationAccount
    Migration.GUID
    SystemMailbox{GUID}ad-exchange-objects
    After Exchange was completely removed from Active Directory and my Azure VM was rebuilt with a D3 size I could successfully install Exchange Server 2016.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:54 AM