none
SQL SERVER IS NOT Starting up. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

SQL SERVER is not starting up. when i start manullay But it is not starting up.

In this instance D:\Drive is missing what should i do.. please sugest me. asp

subu

• Edited by subu999 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:24 PM

Answers

• Shutdown Microsoft SQL Server 2000, and then run Rebuildm.exe. This is located in the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn directory.

In the Rebuild Master dialog box, click Browse.

In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select the \Data folder on the SQL Server 2000 compact disc or in the shared network directory from which SQL Server 2000 was installed, and then click OK.

Click Settings. In the Collation Settings dialog box, verify or change settings used for the master database and all other databases.Initially, the default collation settings are shown, but these may not match the collation selected during setup. You can select the same settings used during setup or select new collation settings. When done, click OK.

In the Rebuild Master dialog box, click Rebuild to start the process. The Rebuild Master utility reinstalls the master database. To continue, you may need to stop a server that is running.

sqltroubles.wordpress.com

In case you find the post helpfill please click Answered

Kris

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• what do the event logs say?  SQL Logs? Anything?  First guess is perms, second guess is parameters. Third guess is password change for the service account.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sure you've posted on here many times before...  the more detail you provide in your posts, the better the quality of response will be. 

Please provide details of any errors you are receiving, i.e. Windows Event Logs, splash screen...

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Hello,

As Andrew has pointed out, we need more information.

What is on the D:\ Drive?

What is the error in the engine errorlog?

What version of SQL Server is this and what is the operating system?

-Sean

Sean Gallardy, MCC | Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Andrew,

Just now i have checked instance D:\ Drive was missing.

I have checked in error logs :

1.Sql server must shut down in order to  re-start database (database id 1)

2. master database is not avaible.

These two only..

Can you please suggest me

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:54 PM
  • The master database was at the drive D:\ ?

Fabrício França Lima | MCP, MCTS, MCITP | Visit my site: http://fabriciolima.net | Dicas de artigos SQL: follow me on Twitter - @fabriciodba.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Hello,

It sounds like your system databases (and user databases?) were on the D:\ partition, as you stated the master database is not available.

You have a few different options:

1. Figure out why the D parition is no longer there, fix it, add it back to the server.

2. Add a new partition, restore the system databases from backups. If this is 2005 or later, you may have to repair the install to re-create the mssqlresource database (and then re-apply all service packs and CUs). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190190.aspx

3. If there are no backups, it is possible to rebuild the system databases but note that it will be like a fresh install of SQL Server - everything that would be held in master, msdb, etc is gone. This means you'll have to re-create all logins and permissions, stores ssis packages from msdb, agent jobs and configuration, etc. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207003.aspx

-Sean

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes master database was in D:\ Drive only...

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:04 PM
  • any idea what's happened to your D: drive?  If it can be recovered intact, it should be a simple matter of restarting SQL Server.  If it's been permanently deleted, you're going to have either change the SQL Server startup parameters, rebuild your master database using the SQL Server media, then restore system db's from backups.

First things first though, find out what happened to D:

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:07 PM
  • ok  i have informed server team, they will find out wheather D:\ is live or not ... i will update

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

It is confirmed the we last drive which holds mdf and ldf files of master msdn and all other databases, So they are going add new drive, so i need to bring sql server up and for that we need to rebuild sql server? what are steps we need to follow.

subu

• Edited by subu999 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:18 PM
  • what version of SQL Server are you using?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2008/08/29/how-to-rebuild-system-databases-in-sql-server-2008.aspx for 2008

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207003(v=sql.105).aspx

Basically, use the SQL Server media to rebuild your system databases, then restore your backups.

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:24 PM
  • we dont have backups also

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Hello,

If you don't have backups and the drives that your system and user databases on are broken and can't be recovered, all of the data is lost and can't get it back. If the drives can be recovered it may be possible to salvage the databases, but if there are no backups and the drives are dead, all information is gone forever.

-Sean

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:31 PM
    Answerer
  • ok, well you're going to have to recreate everything from scratch, i.e. logins, linked servers, jobs (I'm presuming your other system databases were on D: too?).

Whatever you do, always make sure that you've got reliable backups.  I know I sound like Captain Hindsight, but it's probably THE most important thing you can do as a DBA

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi Andw,

I m installing sql server also,...because sql server also damaged.

Thanks for your reply..

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Were your user databases backed up?

If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Rich,

We dont have user database backups also.

subu

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Shutdown Microsoft SQL Server 2000, and then run Rebuildm.exe. This is located in the Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn directory.

In the Rebuild Master dialog box, click Browse.

In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select the \Data folder on the SQL Server 2000 compact disc or in the shared network directory from which SQL Server 2000 was installed, and then click OK.

Click Settings. In the Collation Settings dialog box, verify or change settings used for the master database and all other databases.Initially, the default collation settings are shown, but these may not match the collation selected during setup. You can select the same settings used during setup or select new collation settings. When done, click OK.

In the Rebuild Master dialog box, click Rebuild to start the process. The Rebuild Master utility reinstalls the master database. To continue, you may need to stop a server that is running.

sqltroubles.wordpress.com

In case you find the post helpfill please click Answered

Kris

Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:00 AM