Getting Started with SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am very much convenient in developing form based applications using Access DB as Backend in VS2015 within LAN network.

Now my task is to keep the DB somewhere in the web so that any users can query the DB as it works pretty well in the LAN.

When I contacted the Tech Team about keeping the DB in server they just kept it in the FTP network and they said that we don't have any other option other than keeping it in FTP.

But the FTP file fails to recognize the DB and throws ADODB connection error.

After doing several search in google I found that using SQL server is the only option to use.  But in fact I am familiar with access DB but don't know anything about SQL Server.

I downloaded SQL server 2012 and installed it in my system.  But don't know how I can reference my system SQL database to server and all.

Anyone please redirect me to some materials or share your knowledge about how to get started with SQL server will be very much helpful to me.

Thanking you,

---

Sixthsense

• Edited by SixthS.e.n.s.e Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:07 AM
    • Moved by Bob Beauchemin Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:07 PM Moved to a more relevant forum
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Start your research here

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms167593(v=sql.105).aspx

Although to be honest if this is a company requirement then you should approach your company for the appropriate training.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Ideally you can either keep the DB on premise after opening access to outside web through public ip or you can even choose to host the db in a cloud VM like azure/amazon. Your application would be able to connect to db in both the cases

But if users are always going to be in LAN then I dont see any reason why you should keep db in the web in the first place

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Sixthsense,

Adding to other post, you will also need to configure SQL Server 2012 to accept remote connections. For more detailed steps, please review this similar blog.

And to make users query SQL databases successfully, you can create different logins in SQL Server and create different users in databases, then grant appropriate rights to these logins/users  as per your need.

In addition, if you need to connect to SQL Server from your application server, you can specify connection strings referring to the following blog.
    SQL Server connection strings

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 22, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Start your research here

Thanks for the link.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 4:41 AM
  • But if users are always going to be in LAN then I dont see any reason why you should keep db in the web in the first place

Because some of them will be on official tour in that case they can't able to access the LAN DB.  So they are asking me to make it available in online.  But at the same time company wont accept to keep the company's data in someones server like azure or amazon.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:44 AM
  • Adding to other post, you will also need to configure SQL Server 2012 to accept remote connections. For more detailed steps

Thanks for adding more links which gives step by step instructions.

But as I read over the internet SQL Server is the easy method to keep it as back end database like access.  But after reading all your inputs in reality it is not like that.  I understand it requires lot of technical background like Ports and server inputs are not programmers part since it is a networking part.  So I am going to drop the SQL server concept completely since I am familiar with VB.Net coding and Access DB Tables/forms/sql query's only.

So if anyone have any other suggestion please let me know so that I may move to some other method which suits my requirement

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:54 AM
  • Good Day,

SQL Server is easy to learn same as any RDBMS. The SQL Server administration is also too easy as all the information is available on Books Online(BOL). You can have a look on the SQL blogs for more study materials.

1. https://www.sqlskills.com/

2. http://www.brentozar.com/

For publishing the URL , connect the application server to the internet public IP. Keep the application server in a DMZ / behind a firewall. And the SQL server inside the Local Network. This will get more security for the data .

Thanks,

SKB.

http://sqllive.wordpress.com/

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:01 AM