none
Access 2016 via Citrix - User cannot see back-end but can see locking files. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I've encountered a very strange issue with one of the users of one of my databases.

The database is split into a front and back-end with the back-end stored on our servers and the front-end distributed differently depending on where (geographically) the user is based.

• If the user has access to the local server then the front-end is saved to their desktop.
    • If the user does not have access to the local server the front-end is hosted via Citrix which effectively acts to spoof access to the required file location without actually granting access.

All but one of the users can access the database, make amendments to records and produce reports without issue.

One of our users is accessing the front-end via Citrix but cannot access the data held within the back-end. I've also tried using a local version of the front-end to access the database on his PC to no avail. The user has access to the folder in which the back-end is stored but, for a reason I'm hoping to work out, cannot see the back-end database file in this folder. The bizarre thing is that he can see the locking file and can also see a copy of the front-end stored within the folder.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this may be occurring? We have other staff with the same set-up and they don't seem to be experiencing this particular and peculiar issue! I should mention this is a multi-user database with anywhere from 5 - 15 people accessing it at a time without issue.

Many thanks in advance!

J.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:31 AM

All replies

• What happens when someone else (who doesn't have problems getting to the database on their own machine) logs into this machine or when this user having the problem logs into a different machine?  It would be helpful to try to narrow down whether it's that particular machine or Citrix desktop setup, or whether it's that particular user's domain profile that's causing the problem.

-Bruce

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:34 PM
  • Ok, so in the case of remote desktop (Citrix is the same), then that person gets a copy of the FE on their "remote" (Citrix) desktop.

Yes, I seen this crop up multiple times. The issue seems to be that the back end folder is on a domain, but your Citrix system is not (or if it it is, there are multiple networks, and the Citrix server/user has intermittent use of the back end). In fact if you browse to the back end folder, and then try to open the back end, you find it does not).

There are several possbile reasons. (one is that the first person who opens the back end (due to them launching their FE) causes a lock file with some kind of inherited or limited permissons. As a result, the Citrix users all loose rights. This issue seems to center around the Citix server "intermittemently" losing use of the domain server. In fact, in one case the Citrix (terminal server) was not part of the domain. So right now, it seems that when you have both domain users, and non domain users hitting that folder, everything works fine EXCEPT for JET based databases over the network. 

What fixed this issue for quite of few clients of mine was to browse/link/use the IP address to the back end, and don't use the UNC path name + server name, or mapped drives. So

in place of using \\SERVER01\MYDATABASE\be.accDB, try using :

\\192.168.0.50\MYDATABASE\be.accDB

Of course your IP address will be different.

So the issue seems to be domain users, and non domain users, and somehow rights messing up.

I should also point out that this issue seems to be worse with mdb files as opposed to accDB files, but regardless, adopting IP address and a UNC path name fixed this issue for us.

Try using IP address when linking to the BE folder.

And post back if this works!!! Another issue can be VPN users - as noted, again it seems some bug/issue in regards to JET/ACE crops up if you mix domain and non domain users. I not determined if this is a rights issue, or in fact  some issue with JET/ACE, but using IP address has fixed this issue every time for me.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:43 AM