Interop COM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a development server consisting VS 2008. I created a Class Library using VB.Net, and enabled the "Register to Interop COM" to access the dll from DTS 2000. My question is, do i still need to have a Strong Name and Register it GAC to deploy it to the Production Server?

Thanks,

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:40 AM

Answers

• No. If you are currently testing in dev mode, it's not in the GAC is it?  So if you deploy it to a file folder and then register it using Regasm, there will be a CodeBase hint in the registry pointing to its (non-GAC) location.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by André Krijnen Monday, May 24, 2010 10:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by wOOkies Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:12 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:09 PM
  • CodeBase gets added if you run Regasm (or the VS build does) and the assembly is not in the GAC. If you declare an explicit CLSID (instead of letting VS generate one) it's easy enough to look in HKCR\CLSID for your guid and its registration.
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:03 PM

All replies

• No. If you are currently testing in dev mode, it's not in the GAC is it?  So if you deploy it to a file folder and then register it using Regasm, there will be a CodeBase hint in the registry pointing to its (non-GAC) location.
    Phil Wilson
    • Proposed as answer by André Krijnen Monday, May 24, 2010 10:00 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Hi Phil,

Correct me if im wrong, as i understand correctly when you enabled the "Register for Interop COM" and build your solution, its has the same capability as using regasm before the solution create  a dll. With that, i dont need to have a CodeBase hint  in the registry.

Thanks,

Monday, May 24, 2010 10:49 PM
  • CodeBase gets added if you run Regasm (or the VS build does) and the assembly is not in the GAC. If you declare an explicit CLSID (instead of letting VS generate one) it's easy enough to look in HKCR\CLSID for your guid and its registration.
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:03 PM