A Question on limiting data displayed and a comment about scaffolding data RRS feed

• Question

• User300685930 posted

I've got a very large dataset that I wanted to visual the data better, so I created a Dynamic Data web site.  Problem is, the primary table I am looking at has several hundred thousand rows (with lots of foreign keys).  Even on my local box, it takes almost a minute to return.  Not so useful.  Is there anyway to limit the amount of data retrieved?  Or to force the scaffolding to only retrieve what is in view?

Also, as a comment about the forum description: "Discussions regarding the new scaffolding framework in ASP.NET", I think this does a dis-service to Dynamic Data.  I find many people think that dynamic data is all about building a scaffolding web site which (IMHO) makes it almost irrelevant.  scaffolding is an interesting application, but almost useless in terms of delivering web site functionality.  I would suggest dropping scaffolding from the description.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:11 AM

All replies

• User-1005219520 posted

Loading the filter repeater with all the FK's is probably the perf problem. For a quick test can you apply ScaffoldColumn(false) to all your FK columns. It shouldn't matter how many rows you have as only the top 20 are fetched.  If that solves the problem see this post for a solution.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:26 PM