POS for .NET Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been testing POS for .NET on windows 8 and it installs fine and everything, but when you go to try to claim items.  It cannot find anything, even the enumerators that come with the SDK.

Does anyone have idea of POS for .NET will be brought up to run on Windows 8 and Win RT?

Robert Johnston

Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have .NET 2.0 installed?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, July 6, 2012 4:25 AM
    Answerer
  • I do have 2.0 installed.  I think my issue is that POS for .NET works primarily with COM Objects and with Windows8, they have replaced that with the Windows Run Time.  

Robert Johnston

Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:37 AM
  • I haven't tried it myself. It was on the to do list. MS support has fallen off here. The only hope is that they get some developers freed up to support an update.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Agreed, Windows 7 Embedded POSReady was recently released.  Hopefully, within the next year or two they will have a solution.  If not, it will put a lot of people in a hard place.   

Robert Johnston

Saturday, July 7, 2012 2:45 AM
  • I just installed it a couple days ago and have had no issues claiming the MagTek MSR device.

I am using .Net 4 with Visual Studio 2010.

Greg Brewer

• Edited by Greg Brewer Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:27 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:25 AM
  • Robert,

POS for .NET should work with Windows 8 Win32 based applications if you have .NET 2.0 installed, however I cannot say that it is "Officially Supported" just yet.  It will not work with WinRT, the API layer available to Metro Style Applications.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Robert,

POS for .NET should work with Windows 8 Win32 based applications if you have .NET 2.0 installed, however I cannot say that it is "Officially Supported" just yet.  It will not work with WinRT, the API layer available to Metro Style Applications.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

What, at this moment in time, is the proposed way of using for instance a barcode scanner in a WinRT based application?  Is this possible?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:30 PM
  • Today there are two ways to use a barcode scanner in a WinRT based applications.

1. Although not ideal, set the barcode scanner in keyboard mode.  Just make sure that the cursor is in the right location of the app when scanning your barcode.  This option does not require any changes to device drivers, but may require special handling in the application.

2. Follow the guidelines as outlined in the Windows 8 Device Experience: Metro style Device Apps whitepaper. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/hardware/br259108)

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, August 3, 2012 8:57 PM