Opening the front end of a split database - when the backend is missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed a n Access 2013 database on a company server, then split it and afterwards installed the front end on the users' desktops.  All is running well,

However when I copied the front end, and backend and placed them on my own computer I can no longer open the front end, which I believe is connected to the following message:

<Path> is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides. (Error 3044)

After that the main screen of Access opens ( the "New" screen with default templates...

How can I get into the front end(without the backend being present)?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:16 PM

Answers

• If you indeed copied the front end, and backend and placed them on my own computer - then the path between them has changed.

As noted by others: hold the shift key and keep holding it when you double click to open the application.  That is admin mode and it won't trigger any code.

Then use the Link Table Manager, which is found in the external tab in the ribbon, to relink to the backend file.

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:46 PM
  • You'll find examples of how to automatically check for broken links and provide a simple means of refreshing them  in Refresh.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

Note that if you are using an earlier version of Access you might find that the colour of some form objects such as buttons shows incorrectly and you will need to  amend the form design accordingly.  

If you have difficulty opening the link copy its text (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

In your case the RefreshLinksSingle_07.accdb file would be the appropriate model to follow.  Note that the database's opening form must not be linked to a table in the back end.  If the opening form is a switchboard form then its switchboard table should be in the front end.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Friday, March 11, 2016 11:59 PM

All replies

• Try to open the archive with 'shift' key pressioned.

André Santo | basevba.wordpress.com

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:24 PM
  • Hi. If you're using custom ribbons, make sure you did not move the ribbons table to the backend when you split it.

Hope that helps...

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:28 PM
  • If you indeed copied the front end, and backend and placed them on my own computer - then the path between them has changed.

As noted by others: hold the shift key and keep holding it when you double click to open the application.  That is admin mode and it won't trigger any code.

Then use the Link Table Manager, which is found in the external tab in the ribbon, to relink to the backend file.

Friday, March 11, 2016 10:46 PM
  • You'll find examples of how to automatically check for broken links and provide a simple means of refreshing them  in Refresh.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

Note that if you are using an earlier version of Access you might find that the colour of some form objects such as buttons shows incorrectly and you will need to  amend the form design accordingly.  

If you have difficulty opening the link copy its text (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

In your case the RefreshLinksSingle_07.accdb file would be the appropriate model to follow.  Note that the database's opening form must not be linked to a table in the back end.  If the opening form is a switchboard form then its switchboard table should be in the front end.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Friday, March 11, 2016 11:59 PM