none
Adding or customizing a joint tracked within the skeleton viewer RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

I started working with Kinect and got stuck with a problem. The skeleton viewer tracks few joints that I don't need at all, but doesn't track a joint (point) that I need. So, can another joint be added for tracking and how?

Thank you in advance!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• I manipulate a skeleton in my codeplex project here: http://kinectmultipoint.codeplex.com. But since it can only track two people I make the passive peoples being tracked active so I can track their skeleton. For your problem you would have to create a joint using the joint object and just add that to the skeleton being tracked. If you wish to havenice templates that does basic kinect code like skeleton tracking to look at that helps in troubleshooting my kinect apps sometimes is: http://kinectcontrib.codeplex.com's website on codeplex which does have sample templates for visual studio that help with managed code but i dont think he has a c++ template version yet (sorry).

Visually in wpf it has a skeleton with the red dots that are eclipses that you have to add for your skeleton part to show up visually in the xaml file. Other then that you have to change it in code to remove what you dont want.

I will come back on the code part but I think its a joint object like this:

Dim lefthand as joint

'assign as leftjoint by setting parameters here

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

You can ignore the joints that you don't need and don't draw them, but you cannot add a new joint to be tracked.

If you have adidtional joints, say in an avatar to animate, for example, you need to extrapolate the position you want them to be based on the joints provided.

So, for example, if you have one more bone in the shoulder or in the next, you need to decide its position relative to the joints that the SDK provides (Spine, ShoulderCenter, ShoulderLeft, ShoulderRight).

- hope this helps - Mauro.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:22 PM
  •  Sorry i fogot to mention,You can only have so many joints but you can map to a specific joint on the skeleton if have that point configured for use. For example, map to a left foot point which represents the left foot but their should be a joints collection or enumeration you can look through that lists all joints available.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:28 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:26 PM