Removing Database Server from Farm RRS feed

• Question

• In my Servers in Farm I have

SHAREPOINT_DB   Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Database

SQLCL-SPOINT Microsoft Sharepoint Foundation Database

SHAREPOINT_DB - is the alias configured on all the wfe's to point to the actual database server which used to be 

SQLCL-SPOINT\SHAREPOINT.   We have recently migrated all the databases off of db server to a different VM SQL-SPDBP  and updated all the cliconfg to point to the new server.   I am not really sure WHY SLQCL-SPOINT is showing up as a database server. All of the service applications with the exception of Usage app use the sharepoint_db alias.   The Usage app is the only one that has the sqlcl-spoint/sharepoint  hardcoded in the config.  I will be using powershell to update that pointer shortly.  That being said .. could that cause SQLCL-SPOINT to show up in servers in farm?  Is there a way to verify nothing else is looking at that server before I remove server from Central Admin?

Thank you for any replies!

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:43 PM

Answers

• If you have any database configured to use a specific SQL Server/instance/alias, that will show up in Servers in Farm.

You can verify what is being used by running:

Get-SPDatabase | Select Name,Server

If the SQL Server doesn't show up there, it can be removed.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Jason Spatz Friday, October 31, 2014 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Config database was already pointing to the alias .. so this didn't pertain to this issue.  Thank you for your reply though I appreciate the time!

Jay

Friday, October 31, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• If you have any database configured to use a specific SQL Server/instance/alias, that will show up in Servers in Farm.

You can verify what is being used by running:

Get-SPDatabase | Select Name,Server

If the SQL Server doesn't show up there, it can be removed.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Jason Spatz Friday, October 31, 2014 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:55 PM
  • As you have changes SQL alias and not the configuration database server name. Your OLD database server would be shown in Servers in farm.

Thank You, Pallav S. Srivastav ----- If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:49 AM
  • Thank you Trevor..

Friday, October 31, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Config database was already pointing to the alias .. so this didn't pertain to this issue.  Thank you for your reply though I appreciate the time!

Jay

Friday, October 31, 2014 1:59 PM