SharePoint Search returns wrong date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i am running a Sharepoint 2010 enterprise search indexing a file folder structure with emails(.eml) and attachments(.doc(x), pdf, xls(x), ...). The search results shows a date like first full index time or something like that, but not the date of file creation or any other attributes of the file.

My questions:

- what may be the reason of the wrong date?
    - is there a possibility use another attribute for displaying that is more relevante?

Please help

Kind regards

Werner Durrer

Monday, August 2, 2010 10:14 AM

Answers

• The solution that has been found by MS support. 

I tested this and it works.  The issue was something like: modified dates can be wrong in file shares and so they wanted to override the last modifed date with another field, don't know what that field was but the long and the short of it is: here is the fix:

Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run

Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]

Change the hexadecimal value for EnableLastModifiedOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.

Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.

net stop osearch14

net start osearch14

Perform a full crawl

• Proposed as answer by JHA PeterA Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, April 15, 2013 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Werner,

I am sorry but I didn't understand your Issue from the info provided. I would like to get more information on what exact issue you are experinecing?

Thanks,

Hiran

Reagrds,

Hiran
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hello Hiran,

I have a similar problem on SPS 2010:

The date showed in the search results is not always the same as the date in the crawled file share (when you check it in windows explorer).
    Sometimes it shows the crawling date and sometimes the correct one.

But this varies over file types and directories.
    I also did a test with file shares on the SharePoint Server itself: 2 directories, same files (copied), different results.

One of our clients has the same problem with Search Server Express 2010: lots of files in a fileshare, but different results for the date. Most of them have the crawl date.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks, Heci
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:45 AM
  • I have same exact problem, the Date:  on search results, which should reflect the Date Modified metadata field from .docs, .pdfs., etc., is INCORRECT.

I have a previous version of SearchServer (which reached it's 4GB cap) showing the same data correctly, but this new 2010 installation doesn't, I've reindexed, I've tried playing with the Metadata Properties > mappings (which are confusing as ____ btw), can't see where this Date  is coming from, but it sure isn't the correct Date Modified metadata (as one sees in Windows Explorer).   Help! 

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I am having the same problem as well.  .txt files and .htm files have crawled date instead of modified date.

I have been pulling my hair out, reinstalled new server etc.  HELP!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:47 AM
  • I think the reasonfor the wrong behaviour is that there is a wrong field mapping in search server 2010 express. The field Last modified is connected to the original field last accessed.

I allready tried to change the setting but it is not changeable though me.

I hope Microsoft recognizes the error and publishes a hotfix to solve it.

Regards

Christian

Friday, January 14, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Hi Christian,

Any info on this issue.

Thanks,

Purvish Shah

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I am seeing this issue as well.  I am getting numerous results from a variety of different file types so it isn't the ifilters. The items that have the wrong results mostly show a recent date, so from a search of the word "Test" I get 7000 results and 2000 all have the same incorrect "modified date".  I see this behavior consistently in Search Server 2010 express and SharePoint Server 2010 when LAN file shares are crawled.  I have contacted Microsoft support about a month ago and I am waiting for a response one way or another.  

Dan

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:21 AM
  • The solution that has been found by MS support. 

I tested this and it works.  The issue was something like: modified dates can be wrong in file shares and so they wanted to override the last modifed date with another field, don't know what that field was but the long and the short of it is: here is the fix:

Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run

Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]

Change the hexadecimal value for EnableLastModifiedOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.

Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.

net stop osearch14

net start osearch14

Perform a full crawl

• Proposed as answer by JHA PeterA Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, April 15, 2013 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I need to say thank you, I don't know I would have ever found this resolution.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Thnaks Dan . it works for me as well.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:22 PM
  • Hi

i am running a Sharepoint 2010 on server but when i make a search as administrator it just give the result of a year ago please can you tell me what is a reason and crawling is made every 24 hours automatically 

Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:21 PM