Unwanted prompt to save changes to resx file RRS feed

• Question

• This is a question about working with designer windows in a Windows Forms project.

In my Add-In, I have opened a designer window programatically. The designer window shows a form with the Property Localizable=True and therefore it has an associated .resx file.

Later I close the designer window by closing

• first the document object
    • then the window object

In both cases I specify the parameter vsSaveChanges.vsSaveChangesNo .

However, in some cases, there is a prompt to save the .resx file. It looks like the 'save changes' parameter does not apply to the .resx file.

Is there any way that I can force the designer window to close, without saving anything, including the .resx file?

Thanks in advance
    Phil

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:36 PM

Answers

• Your issue falls into a category that we are not able to resolve using the forums. There are various

support options such as advisory and per issue. Please visit the below link to see the various paid

support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Alliance and Premier VSIP membership includes a complimentary MSDN subscription, which includes 4

professional support incidents. These can be used to initialize a support request with Microsoft's

Customer Support Services. Some versions of Visual Studio include a number of free support incidents

as well. See the "Technical Support Incidents" topic for details.

bill boyce
    Monday, November 8, 2010 5:20 PM

All replies

• Carlos, if you happen to see this, maybe you can help.

I have just looked at a 'knowledge base' article on your site:
    http://www.mztools.com/articles/2004/MZ2004005.aspx

On that page you show some example code. The logic of this code is almost exactly the way my Add-In works.

It opens a designer window for each Form or UserControl in turn. Before opening the window, it checks whether it was actually already open. If it was open, then it leaves it open. If it was not open, it closes the window and specifies vsSaveChangesNo.

The only particular difference is, that I also call Document.Close with vsSaveChangesNo on the associated document, before closing the window. I can't remember why I do this.

On some projects, despite specifying vsSaveChangesNo, Visual Studio prompts to save one or more or the associated files. Most commonly it is a resx file.

I have been getting this problem consistently with a sample project from Infragistics, but I get it sporadically with other projects. Some users of my Add-In appear to get the same problem with .designer.cs/vb files.

Of course, in contrast to your sample, I actually do something with the designer window. The funny thing is, I never actually change anything, so there is no reason why any of the files should actually be dirty.

Is the option vsSaveChangesNo fundamentally broken? Does anybody have any ideas about this?

Phil

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Your issue falls into a category that we are not able to resolve using the forums. There are various

support options such as advisory and per issue. Please visit the below link to see the various paid

support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Alliance and Premier VSIP membership includes a complimentary MSDN subscription, which includes 4

professional support incidents. These can be used to initialize a support request with Microsoft's

Customer Support Services. Some versions of Visual Studio include a number of free support incidents

as well. See the "Technical Support Incidents" topic for details.

bill boyce
    Monday, November 8, 2010 5:20 PM