Display Note field (property) with string data type in Lightswitch list/detail screen. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application where people need to make comments relating to the record in a "Notes" property. In most cases the comments would not need to go on for more than a few lines (300 characters).  This property is in a child entity and attached to list/detail screen as a data grid although I am willing to change that. 

It would be nice to display the property in the various screens, but particularly in the list/detail screen, in such a way that much if not all of the comment being typed would be visible to the person typing. It seems that there would be some extension that would do this nicely or perhaps I just need to format the control for the "Notes" property.  Any help with an elegant solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hey Mark,

what do you mean with 'being typed would be visible to the person typing'?

If you want to, we have a reusable 'notes' control in our controls suite.  You can see it in action in this online demo. (Bottom right corner).

Keep rocking LS!
    Jan

PS: have you seen app-stitch yet? It's a visually simple yet powerful way of designing business rules for Visual Studio LightSwitch apps.

Friday, August 1, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I simply meant that the default text control does not allow you to see all of what is being typed in the "note" as it scrolls of the page and only allows you to see 10 or 15 characters.  I did install a third party extension trial that is quite expensive that has robust editing capabilities. Still testing.  Thank you for your response.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Ah,

in the screen designer, you can alter the height to display multiple lines too. :)

Keep rocking LS!
    Jan

PS: have you seen app-stitch yet? It's a visually simple yet powerful way of designing business rules for Visual Studio LightSwitch apps.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:55 PM