none
Refreshing the backend changes in .dbml file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Everytime when I modify my Stored Procedure in the backend I need to delete the reference in my .dbml file and create it again so that I can see my modified changes. Is there any better way to do this? Its really being a pain..

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Alien01,

I deeply understand your present situation, but because in general projects the data structure is not frequently modified, the Linq to SQL tool is not designed to automatically update your dbml file.

Best regards,
    Charlie Lee

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:29 AM
  • If you have no modifications to your DBML file you could script it's generation via the SQLMetal command-line tool as a pre-build step in project properties.

[)amien
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:20 PM
  • This list of tools and utilities for L2S may be of use: http://www.thinqlinq.com/Post.aspx/Title/LINQ-Tools  ...although there's no support for schema changes / schema migration etc in the out-of-the-box designer there are third party tools around that address some of the shortcomings of the designer...

Kristofer - Huagati Systems Co., Ltd. - Cool tools for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework: www.huagati.com/dbmltools (VS designer add-in), www.huagati.com/L2SProfiler (query profiler for L2S)
    • Marked as answer by Zhipeng Lee Monday, September 21, 2009 1:35 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:56 PM
    Answerer