none
Kinect streams fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After installing Kinect SDK Beta2 and the new drivers that come with it, my cameras stopped working. I can get audio stream but the video stream doesn't work.

When an app (like SkeletalViewer), either managed or unmanaged, tries to use the NUI API it doesn't get the fame ready events. From time to time (like 1 in 30 tries) it starts for a couple of seconds the device sends the frames and the app receives them. After that the streams stop working and the app hangs at shutdown - the process is still active after the window is closed. 

This issue might be connected with the following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/kinectsdk/thread/77d1c980-82d8-4e5a-ac43-f362d5936969, although the error stated there happens after a couple of hours and mine only after a couple of seconds.

I've tried with USBlyzer to see what's happening. First, the devices are connected on full-speed (USB2) and the Kinect is the single device on the root hub. When a Kinect app starts, I see the connect request but after a shot time (varying from 500ms up to 3s) there is a Close request that's not comming from the app (I belive that the driver is sending that command). Also before an app tries to use the Kinect, the bandwidth used is at 61% of the hub's total bandwidth and after the Close command is sent, there is only 11% of the hub's BW used.

I get the same problem on different computers and versions of Windows 7,  with fresh OS installs each time. I will state some of them:

Toshiba Tecra PTM91E:

- Windows 7 32b (w/o SP1), Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7.1, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta2

- Windows 7 32b SP1, Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta2

- Windows 7 32b (w/o SP1), Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7.1, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta1

- Windows 7 32b SP1, Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta1

Desktop PC (Intel Core2Quad 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR, Intel DG31PR)

- Windows 7 32b (w/o SP1), Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7.1, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta2

- Windows 7 64b (w/o SP1), Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7.1, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta2

- Windows 7 64b SP1, Visual Studio 2010 Premium, Win SDK 7.1, DX SDK June 2010, Kinect SDK Beta2

I want to emphasize that I am NOT using virtual machines and, YES, the wall plug is plugged in a power outlet. Also my USB controllers are Intel and the root hubs are working at High-Speed.

Also, for the 64b OSes I've recompiled the SkeletalViewer sample for x64 and still no luck :(

Also, after having this problem, I've tried on fresh windows installations to use the old SDK Beta1. Still it doesn't work, I have the same problems. Having in mind that the device used to work on the same laptop with the Beta1 drivers and now is not, I tend to think that there was a firmware upgrade with the Beta2 drivers that messed up the connection with a PC. 

Can anyone help me?

Cheers!

Monday, December 19, 2011 2:03 PM

All replies

• I've had issues like this before, they always fixed themselves by unplugging the adapter from the wall, and the kinect from the adapter.  Then I wait like 30 seconds for the adapter to turn off.  Just throwing ideas out.

Constantin S

• Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:20 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi Constantin,

That was the first thing I've tried :)

This issue happened on different machines with clean Windows 7 installs.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I'm still having this issue.  Has anyone ever figured this out or posted a resolution on another thread?  Thanks
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:16 PM
  • sounds like the device may be falling off the bus. can you watch Device Manager and see if the Kinect status changes in there?
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:54 PM
  • @bogdan your install sounds like it should work because i have an 1 to 1-1/2 64-bit msi computer and  newer dells for my school organization last nov-december and they worked just fine.

Did you make sure devices where not plugged into the same usb hubs? For instance, plug kinect byitself into front usb ports and leave the usb mouse and keyboard byitself in the back ports to prevent conflict.

The only difference is i did have visual studio sp1 installed but i need to add that to my list for kinect guide because service packs do help a lot in some instances where communication is involved. 

But i never thought about it but you may need video drivers to see the kinect skeleton properly in windows too. Usually the video drivers install components that direct x can reference and the default video drivers dont support some of the direct x features that are used by XNA games and other graphical components.

Always make sure related components are installed for kinect to work properly. Minimum install the graphics driver and sp1 for visual studio and see what happens. Always update too! 

Above all install windows 7 sp1 because their are commication problems and glitchs i noticed before windows 7 sp1 for sure that are solved with sp1 and do this after fresh install but before anything else besides antivirus is installed.

please post a picture too of  project settings so i can see whats happening because you have to change a project setting in visual studio to get the skeleton viewer to run correctly also in beta 2 i noticed and thought i was getting an error.

I run my scenarios still for about 30 minutes to an hour at a time with beta 2 and notice no such problems (most i've had it on is two hours when demoing the kinect mouse program).

The only other thing then directing you to my guide is to tell you that usb 3.0 hasn't worked much if you have such ports.

Please look here at the guide for more:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/d0eeb269-2c3f-4a40-8b65-9d6b8dcae147

where i have posted only links to answers and directly answered some common questions for kinect sdk troubleshooting.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Heres my setup in order because i got kinect working from fresh install just a few days ago on my msi because i had to reinstall.

Heres the order of my setup:

1. Windows 7 Home premuim w/SP1 (windows 7 and antivirus before sp1 or your preference)

2.  Antivirus software

3. graphics drivers and sound drivers (if using the recovery software on computer dont need to reinstall drivers)

4. Visual studio 2010

5. Visual studio 2010 sp1

6. Direct x sdk june 2010

7. Kinect sdk v1.0 beta 2 software

8. change the project settings in visual studio as shown below:

9. compile and run project and it should work for skeleton viewer and simple apps more then 30 seconds.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:39 PM