NetTcpPortSharing Service Crash - Reproducable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi @all

Today I need your help with an absolutely weird behaviour of the NetTcpPortSharing Service in the .Net Framework 3.0 under Windows XP.

We have developed an application that consists of a client (Windows Forms application) and a server (Windows service that hosts WCF service hosts).

We have implemented WCF service hosts in the client app and also in the server service. The WCF implementation uses TCP and port sharing for the communication and every thing works fine - but Smile

On a field test of our application there where three laptops on which our application could not run and we do not have the slightest idea why ;(

Symptom:
    Setup and installation works fine. Also the windows service could startup properly and all WCF hosts could be established.
    As soon as the client application tries to connect via WCF to the windows service the NetTcpPortSharing service crashes - the reason for this is a hidden treasure unfortunately Sad

Here are some Windows Eventlog entries:

"The Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Starten Sie den Dienst neu.."

"Faulting application smsvchost.exe, version 3.0.4506.30, stamp 4545a20d, faulting module bmnet.dll, version 2.3.1.3031, stamp 43f6202a, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000b945."

There is nothing special about the PCs where the port sharing service crashes.

Did you encounter such problems too?
    Do you have any idea about some incompatibilities?

Unfortunately we do not have access to the PCs (where that crash happened) anymore - and yet we are not able to reproduce this behaviour.

So if you did not encounter this problem - maybe you have a hint for me how I can reproduce this errors mentioned above.

I am really thankful for any help

Regards
    Bastian
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Bastian,

I've seen on other postings on the web that the dll referenced in the error message "bmnet.dll" has been causing failures to other apps as well, and the suggestion was to try uninstalling the application that installed it. In the case I read about it was a program from Bytemobile which installs alongside an application from T-Mobile software for the phone.

Also see the following posting for more info.

Would you give this a shot and see if it solves your issue as well.

Thanks,

Monah Khalil

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:01 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Bastian,

I've seen on other postings on the web that the dll referenced in the error message "bmnet.dll" has been causing failures to other apps as well, and the suggestion was to try uninstalling the application that installed it. In the case I read about it was a program from Bytemobile which installs alongside an application from T-Mobile software for the phone.

Also see the following posting for more info.

Would you give this a shot and see if it solves your issue as well.

Thanks,

Monah Khalil

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:01 PM
  •  Monah Khalil - MSFT wrote:

Thank you - that was a big help and it is exactly our problem - so far the good news Wink

The bad news: The only way to get the .NET port sharing service running again is to uninstall the dll. Just stopping all services and appliations that make use of the dll is not enough. This leads to another problem - the Bytemobile program is installed on some PCs where our application should run also. There is no possibility to uninstall the Bytemobile application Sad

I believe that we have no other solution for this except to write a "known issue" about it.

Thx again
    Regards
    Bastian
    Friday, February 1, 2008 3:10 PM