Conflict with web.config files RRS feed

• Question

• User-380220413 posted

I have an asp.net application that has 2 web.config files:

A)  someURL/web.congig

and

B)  someURL/serverwebadaptor/web.config

B was installed when setting up a Web Adapter from Esri ArcGIS and this has been working for years.

Now we're migrating to a new server with the exact same configuration but now we're getting a conflict between the 2 web.config files.

web.config "A" has this line in it:

<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />

which is crashing the web adapter.  If I rem out that line of code everything works but I cannot run reports.

Question:  We're getting some kind of conflict between these config files which I don't understand.  Is there a special way I should be dealing with them (2 web.config files in the same app)?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 8, 2020 1:42 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

It's very difficult to provide assistance without the actual error message. I assume you need to install Esri ArcGIS  on the new machine or at least read the reference documentation.

Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=12.0.0.0 comes with the Report Viewer 2015 runtime.  Maybe just install the runtime.

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.ReportViewer.Runtime.Common/12.0.2402.15

Saturday, August 8, 2020 11:04 AM
  • User-380220413 posted

Thank you.  Since its a new server I might need to install the report viewer runtime, however, I assumed that since it's DLLs are in the apps bin folder it should not be needed.

Saturday, August 8, 2020 4:58 PM
  • User1686398519 posted

Hi gpadvorac,

<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91" />

I suggest you can check the following points.

1. Make sure that Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms is the same as the version you installed.
    2. It is recommended that you use <bindingRedirect>(Please click "bindingRedirect" for more information.), where the oldVersion attribute can specify a single component version or a range of versions, which is better. Below is an example, please refer to it.
      • <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="xxxxxxx" publicKeyToken="xxxxxx" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="x.x.x.x-x.x.x.x" newVersion="x.x.x.x" />
        </dependentAssembly>
    3. You could check whether there is Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms in B's web.config, and whether its version is consistent with the version in A's web.config.
    4. (2 web.config files in the same app)
      • You can click here to learn how to use multiple web.config in a project.
    5. You can give specific error messages so that we can better help you.

Best Regards,

YihuiSun

Monday, August 10, 2020 8:57 AM