DD 4.0: Dynamic child grids on a dynymic edit page RRS feed

• Question

• User-1608179823 posted

I have been struggling to do a custom page on which I want to display (using dynamic data) a regular formview (normal edit) and one or several grids with child data (not in the formview). I have been studying all examples I can find, but no solution fits me. Perhaps it can't be done?

An example: I want to have a custom page to view/edit a customer (in one tab) and on the same page (in another tab) show a dynamic grid with orders belonging to the customer.

This link has a solution that is close, but here the grid is a field template and shows in the same formview.
    http://csharpbits.notaclue.net/2008/08/dynamic-data-and-field-templates.html

This post is also close, but I fail to make it work in DD 4.0
    http://forums.asp.net/p/1234937/2248184.aspx#2248184

I hope someone have done this and succeeded and can share some pointers...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:52 AM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Olov, I have an updated Telerik DynamicRadGrid if you want to e-mail me I will send you the source so you can try that, I had a lot of issues with it at first and with their help I fixed a lot of the DD issues. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• User-536915050 posted

Olov

You can create an attribute to mark the fields that you need include in tabs, then modify your Edit Page Template

to include marked fields in a Tab Container and hide in the formview

I hope you can use the idea

Joe

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:43 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

I do have a version working in .Net 4 now but I have not had the time to extract from the current project and do an article on it, it would need some modification to work the way you want however see below 

From Pictures
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:31 PM
  • User-1608179823 posted

That looks nice, I hope you can find the time to add this to your excellent series of solutions for dynamic data.

In the meantime, I have used something based on this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd329362.aspx. It creates the result I want, but it doesn't feel that dynamic.

One problem I have been having could be traced to the radgrid from Telerik that autogenerates the wrong columns (it tried to used columns from the parent table instead of the child, and those could not be found in the datasource obviously). When I switched to an ordinary gridview, my code (based on the above link) worked correctly. I'm going to go back and revisit my other solutions that never worked and give them a new try with the gridview.

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:21 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Olov, I have an updated Telerik DynamicRadGrid if you want to e-mail me I will send you the source so you can try that, I had a lot of issues with it at first and with their help I fixed a lot of the DD issues. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 11, 2011 7:48 AM