none
Software Development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Im looking to develop some software but have a few questions as Im new to Visual Studio.

I understand this is a good platform to create software packages is that correct?

If I know VBA Excel coding will I be able to code in this?

Once the software Development is complete and I want to deploy it, can it be uploaded to a online portal or would the users need Visual Studio to access the software?

Thanks

Friday, June 17, 2016 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Hermones gave a few options already.

A very important point is: Once you developed the software, you can distribute it and users do not need Visual Studio to use your software.

Click Once is one option to distribute your software in case you build a classic desktop application. But there are a lot more options. You could also simply distribute your appliction as it is (e.g. a ZIP file) or build your own installer (then you distribute a MSI file).

If you target Windows 10, then you could also check the Universal Windows Platform. Then your application will be available inside the application store of Microsoft.

If you develop software using Apache Cordova (then it is a HTML, CSS and JavaScript application), then your application could end in multiple stores for windows, android and ios just to name the main stores.

You could even decide to build some .Net Core applications so you get an application, which could be executed on multiple targets (Windows, Linux, Mac).

And the lastoption that needs to be said: Xamarin is a great tool to build applications for multiple platforms.

So you have a lot of options and it the first important question you have to answer is always: What kind of application do you want to build? Which technology do you want to use?

But it doesn't matter which technology you want to use: Visual Studio offers support for all.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Hermones,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>I understand this is a good platform to create software packages is that correct?

Yes, you could use ClickOnce , it is a deployment technology that enables you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d.aspx

>>If I know VBA Excel coding will I be able to code in this?

1. You can modify the user's personal.xls file, stored in the excel startup directory (varies between Office versions).
    2. You could also store the macro in a template (.xlt) file. Then when the users opens it they can't save it back over the original file, but have to specify a new filename to save it as.

For more details, please refer to:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29630/what-is-the-best-way-to-package-and-distribute-an-excel-application

>>Once the software Development is complete and I want to deploy it, can it be uploaded to a online portal or would the users need Visual Studio to access the software?

It depends on your way of deploy, Vs could support clickonce and windows installer

After the deploy, users don’t need Visual Studio to access the software.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

Hermones gave a few options already.

A very important point is: Once you developed the software, you can distribute it and users do not need Visual Studio to use your software.

Click Once is one option to distribute your software in case you build a classic desktop application. But there are a lot more options. You could also simply distribute your appliction as it is (e.g. a ZIP file) or build your own installer (then you distribute a MSI file).

If you target Windows 10, then you could also check the Universal Windows Platform. Then your application will be available inside the application store of Microsoft.

If you develop software using Apache Cordova (then it is a HTML, CSS and JavaScript application), then your application could end in multiple stores for windows, android and ios just to name the main stores.

You could even decide to build some .Net Core applications so you get an application, which could be executed on multiple targets (Windows, Linux, Mac).

And the lastoption that needs to be said: Xamarin is a great tool to build applications for multiple platforms.

So you have a lot of options and it the first important question you have to answer is always: What kind of application do you want to build? Which technology do you want to use?

But it doesn't matter which technology you want to use: Visual Studio offers support for all.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:04 PM