none
What is the extra adaptor in Windows version of the sensor for? RRS feed

• Question

• I might be over curious but I’m wondering what the extra adaptor piece is for...

For anyone who didn’t get their Kinect for Windows yet, or who didn’t look at it closely, there is an extra Kinect female to Kinect male piece between the cable coming from the sensor and the plug in the power-injector cable. It’s taped to the sensor plug to make sure we don’t forget to plug it. Basically it looks like the Kinect for Xbox 360 with its standard USB adapter/power-injector for pre-slim consoles, but the one for Windows adds an extra piece between them.

This adaptor does not change the plug in any way it seems, so I guess it must do something to electric levels, insulation or something else related to USB signals on PCs.

Does anyone know what it does, and if it is required, why we don’t need such an adaptor when connecting the Xbox 360 version of the sensor?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• It makes the Kinect run better on a PC.  The Xbox has a slightly different power profile than your PC does, and the Kinect hardware was originally designed around that.

Pretty vague, I know. 

James Ashley - Presentation Layer Architect at Razorfish Emerging Experiences
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:44 PM
  • it's to prevent inrush current from happening with some PCs which would cause other USB devices to disconnect/reconnect.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Thanks James and Todd for the interesting information.

I really appreciate you taking the time to satisfy my curiosity, and I guess finding out all of these compatibility issues and designing fixes must have been quite some work before releasing the Windows version - Well done.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:35 AM