visual studio 2013 extension and xml syntax coloring seem not to be able to work together. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I built a VS2013 language service for an xml-related language. 

This extension works properly as long as I do not define xml syntax highlighting for files having the relevant file extension.

As soon as I do that, the extension doesn't work.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I could make them work together?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by HenkSpaan Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:31 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank your posting here!

>>This extension works properly as long as I do not define xml syntax highlighting for files having the relevant file extension.

Could you please clarify how you do this?

Please refer to this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/26d42dc1-a0f5-414e-8b61-5adcb6c16e5d/syntax-coloring-for-xml-cdata?forum=vsx

"I do not think it is possible to extend the XML language service. Since it is not document and it does not expose any feature for you to extend it. It is really a pity."

Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstand you.

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by HenkSpaan Monday, June 9, 2014 10:38 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 3:39 AM
  • Hello Anna,

It seems that I've been a bit unclear in my original post. What I tried to say is that I've made a vs2013 extension that supports intellisense for a type of file that we write our business logic in. Left to itself this extension does what I expect it to do. But there is also a schema file (xsd) that can also be linked to this type of file. It provides syntax support. As soon as this link is made (through the vs2013 menu) the extension stops working. And as soon as I the link is made undone, the extension works as before. So they seem incapable of working together. I wonder what's wrong. I would be very glad if you could shed any light on this peculiarity.

Greetings, Henk Spaan. 

• Edited by HenkSpaan Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:15 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 11:04 AM