none
EWS Push notification subscription service (for exchange online) become unstable when the office 365 data center doing migration RRS feed

• Question

• Our customer have some mailboxes located in the office 365 (exchange online).

And we use EWS push notification subscription service to receive New mail event notification of our customer's mailboxes.

Generally, the EWS push notification subscription service works well, but recently we found the push notification service become unstable (the subscription become invalid, and re-subscribe also not work), which seems to be caused by office 365 data center migration (we confirmed with our customer that they receive MS's notification about the data center migration).

So, my question is whether this issue (EWS push notification unstable) is really caused by the data center migration?

And if this kind of issue happened, should we just waiting the migration complete and then do re-subscribe?

Some update:

When the above issue happens, the EWS push notification subscription service will post some message which contains--

Invalid data source operation., Current AD session re-homed to organization APCPR04A004.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM/Microsoft Exchange Hosted Organizations

to our web service.

Thanks in advance~
    • Edited by SimonChenTM Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:06 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:03 AM

Answers

• >>So, my question is whether this issue (EWS push notification unstable) is really caused by the data center migration?

It depends do you mean switchover/failover or do you migration ? Mailboxes switchover/failover between datacentres in Office365 (within the region that they are in) as part of the normal operation (eg scheduled servicing etc.) and is for the most part transparent to the user. With Streaming notifications when a failover happens your Subscription will become invalid and you need to start again it just means you need extra logic to deal with this.

With a Migration because its crossing a boundary (eg could a different forest etc, could mean they are talking a Hybrid mailbox move etc) your going to need to wait until the migration finishes for the service to be stable enough to test it.

The other thing to consider is that EWS push notification where designed Pre-Cloud (2006) so moving to the new REST based notifications which where developed in the cloud https://msdn.microsoft.com/office/office365/APi/notify-rest-operations should be on your roadmap.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by SimonChenTM Monday, August 1, 2016 2:45 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 2:49 AM
  • I'd don't know 100% the answer as the apps I've used in Office365 have been all streaming notifications apps where you don't have a watermark. In 2010 when you moved a mailbox it did invalidate the watermark https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/exchangedev/2008/07/24/transitioning-to-exchange-web-services-notifications/ but I would suggest do your own testing.

The one thing I learnt from Streaming notifications in Office365 is that multiple issues can affect your notifications during a switchover eg when you go to resubscribe there can be a period of time where all the CAS servers in the site where the Mailbox has been switched to haven't been updated to say this mailbox is now in the new site. So you may need to wait and retry the subscription (generally up to a 5 minute delay I've found in practice at times).

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by SimonChenTM Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:07 AM

All replies

• >>So, my question is whether this issue (EWS push notification unstable) is really caused by the data center migration?

It depends do you mean switchover/failover or do you migration ? Mailboxes switchover/failover between datacentres in Office365 (within the region that they are in) as part of the normal operation (eg scheduled servicing etc.) and is for the most part transparent to the user. With Streaming notifications when a failover happens your Subscription will become invalid and you need to start again it just means you need extra logic to deal with this.

With a Migration because its crossing a boundary (eg could a different forest etc, could mean they are talking a Hybrid mailbox move etc) your going to need to wait until the migration finishes for the service to be stable enough to test it.

The other thing to consider is that EWS push notification where designed Pre-Cloud (2006) so moving to the new REST based notifications which where developed in the cloud https://msdn.microsoft.com/office/office365/APi/notify-rest-operations should be on your roadmap.

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by SimonChenTM Monday, August 1, 2016 2:45 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 2:49 AM
  • Thanks Glen.

Yes, I mean switch over between data center.

As we are using the EWS push notification, if we do re-subscription, what will happens to the watermark of the previous subscription? It will still be valid after the mailbox switch over to another datacenter?

Monday, August 1, 2016 2:50 AM
  • I'd don't know 100% the answer as the apps I've used in Office365 have been all streaming notifications apps where you don't have a watermark. In 2010 when you moved a mailbox it did invalidate the watermark https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/exchangedev/2008/07/24/transitioning-to-exchange-web-services-notifications/ but I would suggest do your own testing.

The one thing I learnt from Streaming notifications in Office365 is that multiple issues can affect your notifications during a switchover eg when you go to resubscribe there can be a period of time where all the CAS servers in the site where the Mailbox has been switched to haven't been updated to say this mailbox is now in the new site. So you may need to wait and retry the subscription (generally up to a 5 minute delay I've found in practice at times).

Cheers
    Glen

• Marked as answer by SimonChenTM Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:54 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Thanks, really appreciate your answer which save me lots of time.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:56 AM