none
Where is a windows.h Header function list on the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My question as per the title is: where can I find a list of the functions available in the windows.h file on the internet?

For example - when I want to know the functions in the winbase.h file it is here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winbase/

When I google search for windows.h I cant find it and seem to always end up at winbase.h. One of the functions I know to be in it is exec(); but that appears to be in other headers so searching for it does not help me.

I'm just learning C++ so please tell me if I would be better off posting this in the another forum

Just an aside. I cant seem to type in this window because when I try to delete a typo the words prior to the point where I delete change font to half size and there is no obvious way to change them back?

Many thanks

Like this

My question as per the title is: where can I find a list of the functions available in the windows.h file?

• Edited by hashingsmurf Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:08 AM spelling
    • Moved by Sean LimingMVP Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:00 AM Visual C++ question
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hello,

>>There was no definitive answer so I can't with all conscience mark any one of them as the answer. 

I'm sorry that what I said may cause you to misunderstand. Just feel free to make your choice.

>>I note in the suffix that there should be an option to "Unmark as Answer"  but I can't see anywhere in the posts to do that.

Yes, this option is available, but only if you have marked the answer, the original option "Mark as answer" will change to "Unmark as Answer".

>>I am still hoping for a definitive answer to my original question.

Just as RLWA32 said, there is no function and class defined in Windows.h. You could think it as a collection of some header files. As shown in the pictures below, Visual studio can find all functions and classes defined across the entire file, but there are no options in the drop-down box.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by hashingsmurf Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:14 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:57 AM

All replies

• There is a Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows.h

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Thanks.

I find it quite peculiar. Two API ".h" files; windows.h and winbase.h; but Microsoft has extensive documentation for one and nothing for the other and the exact reverse is true of Wikipedia where it has an entry for the one for which Microsoft has no information and no entry for the other. 

Saturday, November 9, 2019 3:32 PM
  • Actually, the Windows.h header serves as a master include file for the Windows SDK header files.

I don't know what version of the Windows.h header you are looking at, but in the Win 10 SDK version of the header on my VS2015 system not a single Windows API function is declared in Windows.h

Saturday, November 9, 2019 3:55 PM
  • That is what Windows.h is; a master header file

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Hello,

If your issue is solved, please "Mark as answer" or "Vote as helpful" post to the appropriate answer , so that it will help other members to find solution quickly if they faces similar issue.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:22 AM
  • To Suarez Zhou I'm a bit new to this. I tried clicking on the reply button on your post but get unexpected error? It don’t make life easy. I will persist I tried logging off and on lets see if it works now! There was no definitive answer so I can't with all conscience mark any one of them as the answer. Although its not clear (to me) I presume the square box with a speech symbol in it (top left) is the "Vote as helpful" which I had already ticked on the helpful (partial answer). I note in the suffix that there should be an option to "Unmark as Answer"  but I can't see anywhere in the posts to do that. Guidance is required? I am still hoping for a definitive answer to my original question. I would add that I find this site very helpful and am most grateful for all the polite discussion here. Thanks

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:51 AM
  • The definitive answer is that there are NO functions defined within Windows.h so the list you hope to find does not exist as Microsoft documentation.

• Edited by RLWA32 Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:41 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hello,

>>There was no definitive answer so I can't with all conscience mark any one of them as the answer. 

I'm sorry that what I said may cause you to misunderstand. Just feel free to make your choice.

>>I note in the suffix that there should be an option to "Unmark as Answer"  but I can't see anywhere in the posts to do that.

Yes, this option is available, but only if you have marked the answer, the original option "Mark as answer" will change to "Unmark as Answer".

>>I am still hoping for a definitive answer to my original question.

Just as RLWA32 said, there is no function and class defined in Windows.h. You could think it as a collection of some header files. As shown in the pictures below, Visual studio can find all functions and classes defined across the entire file, but there are no options in the drop-down box.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by hashingsmurf Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:14 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Quote from wikipedia (link is above says) "It defines a very large number of Windows specific functions" ? That lead me to assume there are some. Now i perceive that it does not contain functions but points to other headers that do. Is that correct?
    • Edited by hashingsmurf Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:13 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:56 PM
  • Thanks, how complex. My question stemmed  from some code I found in a tutorial with an exec() function in it that required one to include the windows.h header. You say it can be thought of  as "a collection of some header files" Is there a list of the header files that are collected there and do you know which one of them has the exec() function or is that far too simplistic a question as well? Thanks
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Quote from wikipedia (link is above says) "It defines a very large number of Windows specific functions" ? That lead me to assume there are some. Now i perceive that it does not contain functions but points to other headers that do. Is that correct?

Windows.h is the master include file.

Wikipedia is not an authoritative source of information about Windows programming.

All you have to do is open Windows.h and look at its contents.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Hello,

>>do you know which one of them has the exec() function

As shown in the image below, this function isn't defined in Windows.h. I searched the web page, itseems to be a function on Linux development.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Friday, November 15, 2019 1:31 AM
  • My question stemmed  from some code I found in a tutorial with an exec() function in it that required one to include the windows.h header. ... do you know which one of them has the exec() function 

One would need to see much more of the code example, as well as its context.

exec() could be a function defined within the code itself or in a header that
    is part of the example's code..

Note that there are similar named functions available in Microsoft C and C++
    compilers:

_exec, _wexec Functions
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/exec-wexec-functions?view=vs-2019

Header: process.h

- Wayne

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Windows APIs are PascalCase. When you see underscore_case names you should look elsewhere. 

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:08 AM