none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 startup crash (after upgrade)

Question

• Hi all,

Yesterday I upgraded my Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition. It is now installed with Update 1, but it always crashes at startup.

The only way to get it working is to disable ethernet card and to reactivate it after startup.

I tried to disable extensions update at startup, but without effect. I still need to deactivate network card (no internet) to start vs2015 update 1. This is quite unconfortable.

Did some of you face this problem ?

Thanks

Ludovic

Monday, April 04, 2016 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Ludovic,

>> When I launch "Start Experimental Instance of Visual Studio 2015", this works. But I need to sign at every launch.

The Experimental Instance is used to safeguard your Visual Studio development environment from untested applications that might change it. Since it works fine in this mode, please check whether you are install some extensions and VSIX packages for your Visual Studio. If yes, please uninstall and remove this packages one by one to confirm which package causes this issue.

Then please try remove all Visual Studio caches under following path

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Temp
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache

If the problem still exist, please try repair and reset your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:27 AM
  • If the problem still exist, please try repair and reset your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Hi Weiwei,

The repair solution was definetly the right one.

My Community Edition of Visual Studio 2015 (now Update 2) does not crash anymore at startup.

Thanks for your help, my problem is sloved ;)

• Marked as answer by Ludorg Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Ludovic,

Visual Studio crashes often caused by different reasons, please try with following steps to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Please make sure your machine is not busy when running Visual Studio, such as CPU and Memory.
    2. Run your Visual Studio as administrator to make sure it has enough permissions to do anything.
    3. Run your Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    4. Close all third part programs when running Visual Studio.

Please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

In addition, the Update 2 has been released. Please try install the Update 2 to check whether this problem can be fixed.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Thanks for your help, but none of the proposed solutions solved my issue. devenv still crashed.

1) I've upgraded to Update 2

2) Tried /SafeMode swicth

3) Run devenv as administrator

When I launch "Start Experimental Instance of Visual Studio 2015", this works. But I need to sign at every launch.

I deleted file ActiveLog.xml and it was not recreated after crash. If necessary, I can provide one of my numerous devenv.exe.XXX.dmp form folder AppData\Local\CrashDumps

Thanks

Ludovic

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi Ludovic,

>> When I launch "Start Experimental Instance of Visual Studio 2015", this works. But I need to sign at every launch.

The Experimental Instance is used to safeguard your Visual Studio development environment from untested applications that might change it. Since it works fine in this mode, please check whether you are install some extensions and VSIX packages for your Visual Studio. If yes, please uninstall and remove this packages one by one to confirm which package causes this issue.

Then please try remove all Visual Studio caches under following path

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Temp
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ComponentModelCache

If the problem still exist, please try repair and reset your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 3:27 AM
  • If the problem still exist, please try repair and reset your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Hi Weiwei,

The repair solution was definetly the right one.

My Community Edition of Visual Studio 2015 (now Update 2) does not crash anymore at startup.

Thanks for your help, my problem is sloved ;)

• Marked as answer by Ludorg Thursday, April 07, 2016 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi Ludovic,

I'm glad that you have resolved your problem and share the solution here. Please mark the helpful reply as answer, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 07, 2016 1:24 AM