ATI Driver fails to start device

Question

• My system has an ATI Mobility HD 3400 series graphics adapter. 

The driver shows an exclamation point and reports that it cannot start device. The device worked fine under win 7. Win 8 comes with an engineering sample driver for this device. When I try to update the driver it says driver is up to date.  When I uninstall and scan for hardware changes it automatically brings back the engineering sample driver and will not allow me to install the driver pack from ATI. Any suggestions? 

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:28 AM

Answers

• I had a similar problem with an ATI x1950. To get it to work I installed the ati software then went to the device manager, clicked update driver and selected browse my computer for driver software. The driver should be in the ATI folder on your C: drive.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:55 AM

All replies

• This is a developer preview, means the driver developer get this build as soon as you do. Wait until ATI release a driver for Windows 8.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:47 AM
  • I had a similar problem with an ATI x1950. To get it to work I installed the ati software then went to the device manager, clicked update driver and selected browse my computer for driver software. The driver should be in the ATI folder on your C: drive.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:55 AM