Custom metric namespace not honoured RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating a custom metric through Application Insights' TelemetryClient within an Azure Fnction, and trying to assign it a custom namespace. I'm using the following code:

var telemetryClient = new TelemetryClient(); // instrumentation key is inherited from the APPINSIGHTS_INSTRUMENTATIONKEY app setting
    telemetryClient.GetMetric(new MetricIdentifier("TestNamespace", "My Test Metric Within Namespace")).TrackValue(1);

The metric is published into Application Insights, but the namespace is shown as azure.applicationinsights and not TestNamespace.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:48 AM

All replies

• Thank you for reaching out to us!  This is in reference to our documentation on custom metrics, and we're working on addressing why you aren't seeing TestNamespace as expected.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Thank you John for reaching out. We are able to reproduce the issue and working Internally with our Product team to get more information on this. Will update you accordingly. 
    Friday, January 11, 2019 8:28 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for exploring new features in Azure. 

Sending Customer Metrics to Azure Monitor is in public preview and at this point namespace property is only available in the SDK but cannot be used in the portal. Our team releases new features incrementally and the support for custom namespaces in Application Insights will be released in near future.

Please subscribe to below links for future updates on this topic. Thank you.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/a-new-way-to-send-custom-metrics-to-azure-monitor/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/metrics-custom-overview

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:04 PM
  • We are currently using SDK version 2.8.0 and custom namespaces still do not work.  The documentation link above links to a document updated 9/8/2019 which discusses support for custom namespaces, but they still don't work!  Can I get a date that it will, or can someone update documentation to indicate that this "feature" doesn't work?
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:20 PM