Do any reasons still exist for using WCF? RRS feed

• Question

• User1066278571 posted

I created a blog about the end of WCF. I believe it’s coming to the end of its lifecycle. It has been made more or less redundant by Web Api 2 and SignalR.

http://damienbod.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/the-end-of-wcf-is-on-the-horizon/

Does anyone still have requirements which would make you choose WCF over Web Api or SignalR?

Don’t get me wrong, I think WCF is (was) great.

Cheers Damien

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:54 AM

Answers

• User-488622176 posted

Interesting consideration :-)

I do not consider WCF to be dead. Not at all. WCF has some features not present in REST or WebAPI.  See http://www.slideshare.net/adnanmasood/presentation-web-api-vs-wcf. Furthermore, SignalR is only a library offering functionality. WCF is a framework for building SOA applications.

I'd say WCF is and remains the basis. WebAPI, REST, SignalR are specific "layers" on top of this, each having specificities. There are many things you can do, and shoud do, with WCF in complex business applications that cannot be done as efficiently as with the other things. Not everybody is building chat apps or mobile application backends ;-)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:44 AM
  • User-488622176 posted

Ever made a transactional system with SignalR or WebAPI ? ;-)

Both have their purpose, but do not offer the same broad range of (often needed) functionalities WCF offers. Usage depends on the purpose of your application (meaning : some requirements make it usefull, some do not). 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:09 AM
  • User1066278571 posted

OK, if distributed transactions (via MSDTC) are required, this would be a reason to choose WCF.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:20 PM

All replies

• User-488622176 posted

Interesting consideration :-)

I do not consider WCF to be dead. Not at all. WCF has some features not present in REST or WebAPI.  See http://www.slideshare.net/adnanmasood/presentation-web-api-vs-wcf. Furthermore, SignalR is only a library offering functionality. WCF is a framework for building SOA applications.

I'd say WCF is and remains the basis. WebAPI, REST, SignalR are specific "layers" on top of this, each having specificities. There are many things you can do, and shoud do, with WCF in complex business applications that cannot be done as efficiently as with the other things. Not everybody is building chat apps or mobile application backends ;-)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:44 AM
  • User1066278571 posted

Thanks for reply and the good link. Interesting points in that presentation.

I do not believe Web Api and SignalR are just specific layers. Solid SOA applications can be built using SignalR for the full-duplex communication. SignalR is much more than just functionality for chat applications. For client/server applications, I use Web Api 2. Complex business applications (also SOA) can be built better and more efficiently using the new frameworks. I'm not building chat apps or mobile application backends either ;-)

Web Api and SignalR are not just Web frameworks.

cheers Damien

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:40 AM
  • User-488622176 posted

Ever made a transactional system with SignalR or WebAPI ? ;-)

Both have their purpose, but do not offer the same broad range of (often needed) functionalities WCF offers. Usage depends on the purpose of your application (meaning : some requirements make it usefull, some do not). 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:09 AM
  • User1066278571 posted

OK, if distributed transactions (via MSDTC) are required, this would be a reason to choose WCF.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:20 PM