none
Power plan setting for SQL Server vm servers in a VMware virtualized environment

Question

• We have had recommendations from MSFT to change our server power plan settings from balanced to high performance for servers running SQL Server.  This is a virtualized environment using VMware 5.5.  Our Windows/ESX team says that they have set the underlying host servers power plans to high performance and that they do not need to do it for a specific database vm server. 

Can someone confirm to me if this is true?  I can't find anything anywhere saying that for sure.

Thanks for any info.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:33 PM

All replies

• Actually our Windows/ESX team says the hosts are set to Custom, but haven't said what exactly what that means.  If they use Custom, but don't set any parameters, then it's just Balanced.  I'm trying to find out what they're doing.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:45 PM
  •  Hi,

Please logon to your virtualized server. I would suggest to go for high performance option if you are doing some resource intensive operations specially in memory example - SSAS Tabular.

Go to control panel->HARDWARE->POWER OPTIONS

• Edited by Niting123 Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hello,

Don't seems to be something especially SQL Server related issue; better ask this in a Windows / VM / HyperV / ESX forum; from such a setting all applications & services are effected, not only SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:41 PM
  • I've heard the same recommendation from MSFT dedicated SQL Server engineers and our organization's VM Engineers AND System Administrators pushed back against doing that on VM or physical servers so vigorously that my DBA team finally just gave up and quit passing on that recommendation.

I too, would be curious to hear an 'official' answer to your question from a MSFT rep, with references to documentation to add weight to our cause in attempting to influence our HW partners, if it really does help database performance significantly.

I imagine 'high performance' mode would help on a physical box, not sure about VM though.

Thanks for posing the question.

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:48 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:44 PM
  • FWIW, page 6 of this VMware document does recommend set power plan = 'high performance' for best SQL Server performance of an OLTP workload:
    http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/solutions/vmware-sql-server-vsphere6-performance-white-paper.pdf

Now, good luck convincing your management.

Thanks,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:16 PM