How to design database for InfoPath form data when data is undefined? RRS feed

• Question

• Investigating Sql Server + InfoPath for a Data Collection application. The solution aims to provide a number of predefined InfoPath forms linked to a SQL Server database. Fields needed on these pre-defined forms is clear so its straightforward to design the database tables the data will be stored in.

However, one of the additional requirements is to also allow business manager users to define their own Infopath forms which they will publish to their field people to fill in and also have that undefined data stored in the database so the business people can later run reports against it.

Are there any best practice standards or patterns for how to design the database tables/fields to allow for this?

Or (perhaps) is there any feature of either SQL Server or Infopath that allows storage of InfoPath form data without having to actually design the Sql server tables for each field beforehand? Would be a good feature to add to SQL Server if it doesn't already exist... e.g. when an InfoPath form linked to a SQL Server Database is published, the form could also be "published" to the SQL Server and any data entered is linked to that form "instance" for later querying/reporting against that InfoPath form data entered by the field people? Just an idea...

Anyway, any ideas for how to handle this scenario currently are appreciated.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi GaryBarrett,

Thanks for your post.

Since this forum is only for SQL Server and this question is more related to InfoPath, I would like to recommend that you ask it in the following forum and you will get specific support.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officedev,oldevelopment,sharepoint2010,sharepoint,projectserver2010,projectprofessional2010,uc/

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    Friday, January 21, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the recommendation and have done that now.

BTW, you might want to edit your post for inappropriate language - I'm sure its a typo (I hope!) but had a bit of a double take when I saw it first ;) 

Cheers,

Gary

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Hi GaryBarrett,

I feel very sorry for that typo.

Thanks for your reminder. I will pay more attention in the future. Meanwhile I will examine my reply carefully before I post it in the future.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:43 AM