Windows Mobile Form for an iPAQ PDA -- forms can't scroll? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My company has hired a Windows Mobile developer to create an application that will basically be used to administer questionnaires (something similar to Zoomerang).  The device we will be using is an iPAQ PDA. The questions can be free text entry as well as multiple choice.  Some of these questions may have a lot of text in them and there also may be 20 or more possible answers.  The developer has already been working on this for more than a month, but now says that a limitation will not allow the form to be scrollable.  Here are his exact words:

"The problem is windows
      mobile has a limitation that on the form you does not have
      scroll bar option so it is very difficult to show more than 6
      choices at a time .

if you want to show more choice you have to show on different
      page. And if we show more choice on different pages the user
      interface
    become more complicated . and The touch screen of
      windows mobile is not good as iphones .
    "

I know nothing about Windows Mobile development, but I am a little skeptical that this would be a limitation. I know that there is no scroll bar, but can't the person scroll by using the wand? I am hoping someone on this forum can let me know if the developer is making a valid point.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:28 PM

Answers

• It can be done. If you want to make a quick proof of concept (I am assuming you are using a .Net language and have access to the form designer as I right this).  Create a new Windows Forms project.  Right-click in a blank area outside the form and uncheck "Show Skin."  Click on the form itself and set it's size property to about 1000. The form in the designer will resize appropriatly.  Place some controls on the form and then run the project.  You will see your form rendered with scrollbars.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Marked as answer by drumbox19 Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:50 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:08 PM

All replies

• It can be done. If you want to make a quick proof of concept (I am assuming you are using a .Net language and have access to the form designer as I right this).  Create a new Windows Forms project.  Right-click in a blank area outside the form and uncheck "Show Skin."  Click on the form itself and set it's size property to about 1000. The form in the designer will resize appropriatly.  Place some controls on the form and then run the project.  You will see your form rendered with scrollbars.

Joel Ivory Johnson
    • Marked as answer by drumbox19 Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:50 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Ivory. The funny thing is, I'm looking at our contract and it says they were going to use .NET Compact Framework 2.0 with C#. But I remember talking with the guy and he said he was using C++.  I'm an ASP.NET Web developer myself.  Maybe I should give it a shot : P
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Drumbox:

Are you trying to build some dedicated application on the PDA device? There has be a reason why application developer is using C++ to build native application.  Talk to your developer and understand the reasons before you jump to a conclusion.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Thanks Boomerang...I will definitely keep that in mind. However, their contract did state the use of .NET/C# and that is what I myself program in for developing websites, so when they are done, if it's in C++, I won't be able to do anything with it (unless of course I learn C++).  But I do believe in "diplomacy". Thanks for your post.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:16 PM