none
CN on Submission Site looks like a GUID and not a normal Readable Name. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently attempting to submit an application to the windows store unfortunately it fails to submit due to the CN (Common Name) in the "Package Publisher" field of the Appx Manifest expects a string of hexadecimal values (Similar to a GUID).  Now the value in our manifest has to match our code signing certificate (which is a readable text name string as standard).

Now i'm wondering as on our account page the 'Windows Publisher ID' matches what the submission wants but is again not what i would expect from a common name.  However our account is still being 'business verified' so isn't complete.  Will this value correct itself or should I raise this further somewhere to get it reset to a correct value.

For Reference the error is...

"Invalid package publisher name: ......"

Thanks

- Dave Cotterill

Friday, October 12, 2018 4:41 PM

All replies

• The GUID-like ID on your dashboard is the definitive one for your store registered app and is assigned by the store.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/uwp/publish/view-app-identity-details

Quoting from the Dashboard's App identity section:

Your product has a unique identity, assigned by the Store. If you build your package manually, you'll need to include its identity details. (If you're using Visual Studio, this is done automatically.) Learn more

You won't sign your app for the store with your own code signing certificate. Microsoft will sign the app with a trusted store certificate when it is published. For testing and upload purposes you can use a test cert that matches the publisher on your dashboard. For side-loading you can choose your own publisher ID (unless you need to register for push notifications, in which case the app needs to be store-registered).

Visual Studio should generate a matching test cert for you when you associate your app with the store, or you can generate one yourself if you build your package manually.

Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:44 AM
  • Hi Thanks for the reply,

We aren't using Visual Studio to package the application as we have a manual packaging process.  

The issue did turn out to be the fact that we were code-signing the appx.  The documentation isn't very clear that we weren't supposed to code-sign when manually packaging, but it does reference code-signing for localised deployment (non submission) so it was incorrectly assumed that we needed to do it for submission too. (Manual packaging documentation should probably include this little nugget of information)

However all is good now, the app went through when i disabled code-signing.

Thanks for your help.

- Dave 

Monday, October 15, 2018 8:27 AM