Is an app certified if it invokes the Google services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Does an WP7.5 app that invoke and use the Google Geocoding API and Google Static Maps will pass the Marketplace certification process?
    I have difficult to accurately understand the Application Certification Requirements 2.7.1 (Your application must determine location using the Microsoft Location Service API).
    I get the location using the GeoCoordinateWatcher class but later I call the Google’s services to get additional info’s.

Thanks.

• Edited by Barile Diego Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• I understand that obligatoriness of using Microsoft's API, is just to be able to detect that you are using location services. That way, when a user tries to download your app from marketplace, he will be adviced that the app uses location services. It doesn't matter if you show the coordinates on screen or not. Your app should pass certification process.

Don't forget that you have to add a privacy policy, and the option to turn off location services.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Barile Diego Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:54 PM

All replies

• Since you use Microsoft's API to get the location, and it's use will be shown in app capabilities, I think it shouldn't be any problem. 
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi.

I also show the GeoCoordinateWatcher result (latitude, longitude and altitude) into three textblocks.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:45 PM
  • I understand that obligatoriness of using Microsoft's API, is just to be able to detect that you are using location services. That way, when a user tries to download your app from marketplace, he will be adviced that the app uses location services. It doesn't matter if you show the coordinates on screen or not. Your app should pass certification process.

Don't forget that you have to add a privacy policy, and the option to turn off location services.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Barile Diego Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:54 PM