Low Disk space - TFS Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed TFS on a machine with around 50Gigs in the default drive. My datafiles are residing on the same drive. Now I am facing an issue with low disk space.
    Is there any method I can change the datafiles to the other drive which is having ample space?
    To try this I created a dummy database and then tried detaching its datafile from c:\ and attaching it after keeping it in D:\
    But I am not able to open any table in that databse giving me error

Invalid Directory format

Is there any other way I can solve this problem?
    -- Bhavik
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Subodh,

I agree it is a more SQL question than for TFS. But was wondering if I've missed some setting in TFS

I did solve this problem but changing the Recovery model of the TFS database's to Simple (earlier it was FULL)
    And also I shrinked the Log file for my LoadTest database (which was 19GB).

Thanks
    Bhavik.
    -- Bhavik
    • Marked as answer by Bhavik Patel Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:30 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Bhavik,

I think this question should be asked on SQL Server forums. From TFS point of view, you can select one of these options:
    1. Try to reclaim some space from TFS by deleting some team projects if they are not required and destroy the source for those keeping only the backup for future restoration if required.
    2. Take a backup of database and restore it on a new TFS installed on a bigger drive.
    3. Purge the database which stores the attachments of workitems.
    4. Check the size of the WSS / SQL Server log files which are created when some errors occure. I have observed that these can takeup more than 10GB space.

VP, Technology, SEED Infotech Ltd.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Hi Subodh,

I agree it is a more SQL question than for TFS. But was wondering if I've missed some setting in TFS

I did solve this problem but changing the Recovery model of the TFS database's to Simple (earlier it was FULL)
    And also I shrinked the Log file for my LoadTest database (which was 19GB).

Thanks
    Bhavik.
    -- Bhavik
    • Marked as answer by Bhavik Patel Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:30 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Hi Bhavik,

Execute the following command SQL Server Query Editor:

USE LoadTest;
    GO
    DBCC SHRINKFILE (LoadTest_Log, 7);
    GO

For more information, refer the following link: