none
Shared in-app purchase for universal apps

Question

• I've recently updated my Windows Phone app to link it with the Windows Store app as a universal app. I had set up an in-app purchase in both apps with the same product id prior to the update so that the in-app purchase will be shared for consumers across devices. Unfortunately, linking the apps hasn't gone quite as smoothly as I would have hoped. I have two questions:

1. Is the in-app purchase only shared across Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1. For example, if someone has a Windows 8.1 device and a Windows Phone 8 device and they buy the in-app purchase on Windows Phone 8, will it be active on Windows 8.1? What about other combinations? Or is it only Windows 8.1 <--> Windows Phone 8.1? If I advertise the in-app purchase within the app as being shared across Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, am I false advertising?

2. Some users who installed the in-app purchase on Windows Phone before the apps were linked are reporting that the in-app purchase is no longer active (after the update to link the apps). I am certain this isn't a coding issue on my part -- the in-app purchase functionality has been thoroughly tested and is working for most users. Is there an issue with linking the in-app purchases? What should I recommend to users on how to resolve this?

I don't think the details of universal apps have been made at all clear by Microsoft. There are many other questions I could ask, for example, what is the end-user experience when purchasing an app on one device and trying to access it on another? Should users expect a delay (perhaps up to 24 hours) before being able to install the app from the other Store?

Friday, June 6, 2014 12:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Richard,

IAPs are only shared between apps that are native 8.1 on both platforms so the user must be using the 8.1 version on both phone and Windows to gain this benefit.

"Universal" is the code itself and not the benefits (IAPs, roaming, etc)

For issue #2, if you have specific examples Dev Center support can look into those. Ideally we will need the Microsoft Account(s) that are affected.

On your other questions, we would need to look at the specifics of your apps to make sure the necessary requirements have been met.

Please contact developer support.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Dev Center

Windows 8 UI Developer Support

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:40 AM
  • I have similar plans to make my app universal but the answer above is not clear to me:

1. My app was originally on Silverlight for WP 8 and now has been upgraded to Silverlight for WP 8.1. Currently the app has both the versions in WP store for WP 8 & 8.1 respectively and the IAPs appear to be shared

2. At some point I will ditch SL and make it native app for WP 8.1

3. When I do (2) I will prefer Universal template, and create two editions

4. When I publish (3), I will remove the WP SL8 version, I will replace the WP SL8.1 version with native 8.1 version, and I will create and link the Windows Store App with the Phone App

5. Will the IAP history from (1) still be available at stage (4)? Please note that at that point both the stores will only have the 8.1 native apps but the IAPs should have been completed on earlier versions (1).

A direct answer to (5) will be highly appreciated.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:21 AM