"could not serialize the SSIS runtime objects" when attempting to copy tasks created by SSIS wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Run the SSIS import/export wizard.

(xls -> sql table)

Select the tasks created.

Copy.

Here is the error that occurs.

p.s. Does anyone have any needles I can borrow? I think sticking them in my eyes would be nicer than working with SSIS.

===================================

An error occurred while objects were being copied. SSIS Designer could not serialize the SSIS runtime objects. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

Could not copy object 'Preparation SQL Task' to the clipboard.
     (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)

------------------------------
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%u00ae+Visual+Studio%u00ae+2005&ProdVer=8.0.50727.762&EvtSrc=Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.SR&EvtID=SerializeComponentsFailed&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsClipboardCommandHelper.SerializeRuntimeObjects(ICollection logicalObjects)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowClipboardCommandHelper.InternalMenuCopy(MenuCommand sender, CommandHandlingArgs args)

Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6) (Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.PersistImpl.SaveToXML(XmlDocument& doc, XmlNode node, IDTSEvents events)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.DtsContainer.SaveToXML(XmlDocument& doc, XmlNode node, IDTSEvents events)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.DtsClipboardCommandHelper.SerializeRuntimeObjects(ICollection logicalObjects)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:31 AM

Answers

• Register the xml parser dlls with the below commands.

regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
     regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:04 AM

All replies

• this is the message when you click on the "help" link. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

We're sorry

There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time

"at this time"  at this 'kin time? well when it is convenient, please feel free to add some text so I can go about my work as normal.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:35 AM

regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
     regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:04 AM
  • ok that solves the "copy" problem

now when I paste I get the wonderful

"microsoft visual studio has encountered an internal error" ..." may be unstable" (may be? may be? !!)

upon sending the error, the following error is visible

[p.s. don't bother clicking the link as it comes back with the ever useful "we're sorry..." message]

The designer could not paste one or more executables. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%u00ae+Visual+Studio%u00ae+2005&ProdVer=8.0.50727.762&EvtSrc=Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.SR&EvtID=PasteComponentsFailureCause_couldNotRestoreExecutables&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowClipboardCommandHelper.PasteComponentsInternal(IDesignerHost host, DesignerTransaction trans, IDataObject dataObj)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowClipboardCommandHelper.PasteComponents(IDesignerHost host, DesignerTransaction trans, IDataObject dataObj)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.ClipboardCommandHelper.OnMenuPaste(MenuCommand sender, CommandHandlingArgs args)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.CommandHandlingInfoMap.HandleCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.ClipboardCommandHelper.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.ComponentDiagram.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.ComponentDiagram.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)

At least one executable could not be pasted correctly.
    The executable with the name 'Preparation SQL Task' could not be pasted successfully.
    Information about the state of the executable with the name 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.ExecuteSQLTask.ExecuteSQLTask, Microsoft.SqlServer.SQLTask, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' could not be loaded from the clipboard.
    Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0010028

The executable with the name 'Drop table(s) SQL Task' could not be pasted successfully.
    Information about the state of the executable with the name 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.ExecuteSQLTask.ExecuteSQLTask, Microsoft.SqlServer.SQLTask, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' could not be loaded from the clipboard.
    Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0010028

The executable with the name 'Data Flow Task' could not be pasted successfully.
    Information about the state of the executable with the name 'DTS.Pipeline' could not be loaded from the clipboard.
    Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0010028 (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%u00ae+Visual+Studio%u00ae+2005&ProdVer=8.0.50727.762&EvtSrc=Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.SR&EvtID=RestoreExecutables_AtLeastOneRestoreExecutableErrorOccured&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowClipboardCommandHelper.RestoreExecutables(IDesignerHost host, DesignerTransaction trans, IDTSSequence pasteContainer, XmlNode copiedXml, XmlNamespaceManager nsmgr)
       at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Design.ControlFlowClipboardCommandHelper.PasteComponentsInternal(IDesignerHost host, DesignerTransaction trans, IDataObject dataObj)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Sounds like a corrupt installation, since registry modification(s) restore functionality. 

What OS, architecture (32/64), version OF SQL Server Integration Services (RTM,SP1,SP2,2153 hotfix, post SP2 hotfix, other) is now installed, or purportedly installed?  Is Visual Studio also installed independent of the Visual Studio variant (known colloquially as BIDS)  that installed as part of SSIS? If so, is it RTM or SP1? 

Are you able to create packages in BIDS, independent of copy/paste, containing at least one execute sql task, and can those same packages be run from BIDS?  Is this "task copy/paste" issue recent behavior (ie., the copy/paste once worked, and now always fails), or something has been in need of repair from the get-go?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:01 AM
  • running BIDS on winxpsp2, 32bit, P4

should be sql server client tools sp2

help about vs.net

visual studio 2005 ver. 8.0.50727.762

Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer
    Version 9.00.3042.00

help about sql mgmt studio

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio      9.00.3042.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools      2005.090.3042.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)      2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Microsoft MSXML      2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer      6.0.2900.2180
    Microsoft .NET Framework      2.0.50727.42
    Operating System      5.1.2600

I can create, run and we have successfully deployed packages which indeed run on other machines.

will a reinstall cure it?

how long will it take?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Try the following as well (which probably won't help, but it won't hurt either)

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

A reinstall would probably fix the issue ("task cut/paste"), however, since you are able to develop and deploy SP2 based packages, perhaps the issue is resolve-able with further dll registrations.

You may wish to search this forum for the term "regsvr32.exe" and attempt further registry additions. Yes, its a fishing expedition, but it may be a shorter one than re-installation. 
    I don't know how long a re-install would take.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:37 PM
  • This has solved the problem for me.

Problem started 2 weeks ago...

Thanks

Philippe

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:48 AM
  • The regsvr32 commands worked for me as well.  Thanks!
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Another winner.  Commands worked fine here too.

Thanks for the time saved
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:42 PM
  • One more. Solved!

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:28 PM

regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
     regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll

Worked for me too...

Thanks!!!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:23 AM
  • It works for me as well. Great forum!

Sea Cloud
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:53 AM
  • worked like a charm !!  Thanks
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:14 PM