Weird EW3 Behaviour When Excluding Folders for Publication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

This is one problem no amount of Google searching seems to answer so I thought I'd post up a question to see if anyone else has experienced this behaviour (and possibly found a solution).  It has just started happening today and has never occured prior to this.

I have a site in development.  Is contains a folder in the root called 'Design_Notes' created some time ago and acts as a repository for photoshop files, notes etc that don't need to be published.  So, when I created this folder, I right clicked it and choose to exclude from publishing and sure enough up pops the red 'x' , the folder remains visible in the folder Viewand everything is fine.

Today, I create a new folder in the root of the site called 'Misc' for some different stuff which too doesn't need to be published.  So, I right click this folder and choose to exclude from publishing and it disappears from the folder view!  If I reload the site using F5, the folder reappears but doesn't show the red 'x'.  If I right click the folder again and choose to exclude from publishing exactly the same thing happens and when I F5  the folder reappears but doesn't show the red 'x'.

So a created a couple of other folders and tried the same thing and EW3 makes them disappear and reappear in the manner described.  My site settings are correct for meta data.  I've even exited EW3 and rebooted but this same stange behaviour occurs.

Incidently the 'Design_Notes' folder remains excluded from publishing and is visible in the Folder view.  It's annoying because the 'Misc' folder contains notes and other stuff I need to access quickly as I develop the site.

Anyone come across this before?

Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:42 AM

All replies

• Just to update, the same problem occurs if I try to exclude in the folder list panel.  And it gets weider!  If I work on another site, create a folder and exclude it from publishing, it works fine - folder remains visible with a red 'x' - so it's only happening to this one site!
    • Edited by eyetranced Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:15 AM Updated information
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Try FPCleaner.
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:54 PM
  • FP cleaner makes no difference.  Still exactly the same behaviour after using it.
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Since it was working before, something is corrupted for that site.  If you've cleared temporary files and regenerated metadata, I can't tell you what it might be.  (And to be clear: you were using the version of FPCleaner for your version of EW, correct?)
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Since it was working before, something is corrupted for that site.  If you've cleared temporary files and regenerated metadata, I can't tell you what it might be.  (And to be clear: you were using the version of FPCleaner for your version of EW, correct?)

Good point, Kathy, since MS seems to make it an item of religious dogma to change with every new version the locations of caches, registry entries, and other elements that FPCleaner is designed to clean up. Using the wrong version would probably have no effect.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 4, 2012 12:25 AM