none
VS2017 installer cannot be opened

Question

• After the installation of VS2017, I  tried to install more functions such as Windows SDK and C++ library. However the installer cannot be opened,restart and administrator mode and download another installer cannot solve this problem. According to answers on the internet, shut down .NET service will be OK. This isn't work, too.

How can I fix the installer or install more functions with command instead of installer?

Monday, April 3, 2017 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Himekaidou Hatate,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>However the installer cannot be opened

To know the detail error message, please open Event Viewer and check if there is any related error information of VS, please have a look at this:  How to Check the Application Event Log for Errors

>>How can I fix the installer or install more functions with command instead of installer?

To use the command to install the workloads or components, we can use the parameter "--add <workload or component ID>" and for the detail information, please check this:  Use command-line parameters to install Visual Studio 2017

Since you cannot open the VS 2017 installer and you can also try to run the command "repair" to repair the installed VS 2017, then re-run the VS installer as administrator to check if this issue persists or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Should I inputD:vs_enterprise.exe add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload. NativeDesktop?If I type this line in cmd and press enter, the installer window will be shown and closed if you press "continue"button.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:12 AM
  • How can I install workloads manually? 

P. S. error log

KERNELBASE. dll 0x0434352

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Hi Himekaidou Hatate,

Thank you for your update.

Could you please share the screenshot of your command prompt windows? Refer to the above command article, I tired to install the workload 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload. NativeDesktop' to the VS community 2017 using the command: vs_community__2145757475.1491282764.exe modify --installPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community" --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop and it works fine like the following screenshot:

You can have a look at the Command-line parameter examples for Visual Studio 2017 installation and replace the installer name, installation path and workload ID per your condition.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:10 AM
  • Hi Himekaidou Hatate,

Sorry to trouble you and I just want to confirm that your issue is solved or not. You can have a try with the similar command in my last reply per your actual condition to test it, and if this issue persists, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:40 AM