I found localization not work in LockScreen Notificaitions RRS feed

• Question

• I have localized my application title like this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff967550(v=vs.92).aspx

I make sure that my application title can display different language in different region such as English and another region.

After I add the function about lock screen, I visit phone's lock screen settings screen and want to choose my application. I found that my application title only display in English however current region was.

Is this a bug?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:23 AM

All replies

• Do you have an app I can look at?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:04 PM
  • It does appear to be a bug. Create an app with localized application title, such as the Globalization Sample. In WMAppManifest.xml, enable lock screen notifications by adding extensions:
        <Extensions>
          <Extension ExtensionName="LockScreen_Notification_IconCount" ConsumerID="{111DFF24-AA15-4A96-8006-2BFF8122084F}" TaskID="_default" />
          <Extension ExtensionName="LockScreen_Notification_TextField" ConsumerID="{111DFF24-AA15-4A96-8006-2BFF8122084F}" TaskID="_default" />
        </Extensions>
    Under the phone settings / lock screen, a user selects which app is allowed to display lock screen notifications. The eligible apps are listed in a ListPicker. However, the app name appears in English even when the phone is set to another language.
    Richard Woo
    Friday, November 23, 2012 9:17 PM
  • It does appear to be a bug. Create an app with localized application title, such as the Globalization Sample. In WMAppManifest.xml, enable lock screen notifications by adding extensions:
        <Extensions>
          <Extension ExtensionName="LockScreen_Notification_IconCount" ConsumerID="{111DFF24-AA15-4A96-8006-2BFF8122084F}" TaskID="_default" />
          <Extension ExtensionName="LockScreen_Notification_TextField" ConsumerID="{111DFF24-AA15-4A96-8006-2BFF8122084F}" TaskID="_default" />
        </Extensions>
    Under the phone settings / lock screen, a user selects which app is allowed to display lock screen notifications. The eligible apps are listed in a ListPicker. However, the app name appears in English even when the phone is set to another language.
    Richard Woo
    In windows phone 7 picture share, it didn't have this problem. Only in windows phone 8. I found the app name always in English in picture share and lockscreen.

• Edited by Le_Ruin Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:05 AM add some forgot words
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:58 AM

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

mSpot Inc
    (MCC) said:

It does appear to be a bug. Create an app with localized application title, such as the Globalization Sample. In WMAppManifest.xml, enable lock screen notifications by adding extensions:

<Extensions>
        </Extensions>

Richard Woo

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:26 AM

In windows phone 7 picture share, it didn't have this problem. Only in windows phone 8. I found the app name always in English in picture share and lockscreen.
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:27 AM
  • I also found another bug, which is a little more serious. When I want to set my background on lock screen and my app title is localized then in lock screen settings I don't see my app title but path "@C:\Data\Programs\{app-id}" - maybe it's longer but it goes behind the screen so I can't tell. It's only in background listpicker, for notifications it's still just English name.

Matt, I created sample app, if you could look at it.

Whole project: http://speedy.sh/fzG2t/LockScreenSample.zip

Or just xap: http://speedy.sh/7uReP/LockScreenSample-Release-x86.xap

It supports two languages: English and Polish("polski" in region settings). In Polish path to lock screen settings is as follows: Ustawienia(Settings) -> ekran blokady(lock screen)

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:23 PM
  • This is also happening to me. I upgraded my localized 7.1 app to 8.0 and I can't find how to get the correct application title on the Lock Screen Background settings (without removing the localized title).

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:07 AM
  • Still no answer. Can someone from Microsoft look at it, please?
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:13 AM
  • How can it be that no one answered from Microsoft ? This is important.

I'm going to have to send 1 XAP for each language my app is localized into. This is not very developer friendly :S

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:41 PM
  • I'll look at it now.  Let me see if I can find any known issues around this.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:25 PM
  • I found a bug that seems to match the issue.  I'm not experienced at all with localization/globalization issues, so if this does not fit the problem, please explain exactly what I need to know about this in order to file a proper bug.

Here's the verbage of the known bug:

<dir>

This is a result of phone language set to one language and regional format set to another.  The problem is that months & days are localized in NLS and align to the locale, not to the display language.  So if your phone language is set to Arabic, and your regional format (locale) is set to en-US, then the month and day names on the phone will be in English. 

</dir>

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I don't think you've covered our problems. There are two problems here. I'll talk about the one that's causing me trouble, that is the Lock Screen Background image settings:

When your application title is localized (following the MSDN tutorial), and your application support the LockScreen_Background extension, its name should show in the phone language (if your application title is localized into it) in the Lock Screen settings.

What we've found is that "@C:\Data\Programs\{app-id}" is instead written there (alongside Bing and photo).

This is not related to the regional format you're talking about. Even if your phone language is set to English, and your locale is en-US, the application title won't show in a user-friendly name (but it shows right in the application list).

For this, I've been forced to provide 1 XAP for each language my app is localized into. Very frustrating!

Thanks for your help,

Julien.

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Exactly what Medality said + one more issue:

When application title is localized then in lock screen settings in notifications listpicker app title is always in the default language. So if default language is set to English and I change my phone language to any other then its name in notifications option will still be in English.

I also reported it on Microsoft Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/778472/windows-phone-8-localization-issue-in-lock-screen-settings

And one more thing. The bugs are present on emulator and I got a few messages from my users that they have it too. But I got Lumia 620 today and these bugs are not present on this device. OS version is 8.0.10211.204. Maybe it was fixed already? Can I ask you what OS versions do you have?

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:17 PM