Problems with developing a Shadow Copy Service hardware provider RRS feed

• Question

• I m writing a hardware provider for Shadow Copy Service. All of the processing to create the snapshot (CommitSnapshots), expose the snapshot (LocateLuns) is successful.

However, when VSS calls FillInLunInfo for the newly discovered snapshot, VSS itself appears to not accept or match the new LUN data, and continously calls FillInLunInfo approximately every 10 seconds until eventually deciding that the snapshot failed.

I have followed the instructions for GetTargetLuns and FillInLunInfo butcannot see any disparity - but I have asneaky suspicion that there may be a little 'gotcha' somewhere. For example, this comes from the MSDN documentation for FillInLunInfo:
    "However, the provider should not modify the value of the m_rgInterconnects member of this structure."

However, a little lower down the page for this same API is the comment:
    "The m_rgInterconnects member must be set to NULL."

I am using VSS SDK 7.2 and Windows Server 2003.

I hope that someone in this forum can help, as I have not found a developerforum for VSS.

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,
       I am developing VSS hardware provider and facing the same problem as mentioned. Does anyone found a solution to it? Please help me out.

Thanks,
    --Tapan.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:02 PM

• Hi,

I am also facing the same problem. Do we have the solution (or workaround) for it?

In one instance, VSS calls the FillInLunInfo several times and in another instance of the provider, VSS itself has a problem with the FillInLunInfo. After exiting from GetTargetLuns, LocateLuns is not called at all. I directly get an VSS_E_PROVIDER_VETO and the following message in the appliocation log.

Error calling a routine in the Shadow Copy Provider. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::FillInLunInfo failed with error 0x800706f5

Any help or clue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nileema

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:35 AM