none
Troubleshoot SubmitChanges sporadically failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Silverlight app in production, and occasionally data is not being saved to the database when executing the SubmitChanges() command.

Most of the time it works fine, so the code is basically correct.  My client was on the phone with me, was clicking the save button, and no errors were being returned (SubmitOperation HasErrors was false) but the data was not getting updated on the database.  I've put logging messages and can see no obvious errors.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Does anyone have any suggestions about what might possibly cause SubmitChanges to sporadically fail?

Any ideas on even how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Reese

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:13 PM

Answers

• I can't say that you have a WCF issue. You have a database issue, with ORM if using one.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Since the forums is used for discussing the question about Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking, so I am afraid this forums is not the right forums for you to post this question. Maybe you can post your question in the Silverlight Forums.

#Silverlight Forums:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-us/home?category=silverlight&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:54 AM
  • I resubmitted this on the Silverlight RIA Services forum.

I know my question was vague, but the problem ended up being a result of a Delete conflict.  Two users were trying to delete the same entity, and it was throwing an error for the second user.  The real problem was my error handling code was bad, and was swallowing the error without reporting the delete conflict.  The entity changes were not being saved, but no error was being reported.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:40 AM

All replies

• I can't say that you have a WCF issue. You have a database issue, with ORM if using one.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

Since the forums is used for discussing the question about Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking, so I am afraid this forums is not the right forums for you to post this question. Maybe you can post your question in the Silverlight Forums.

#Silverlight Forums:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/silverlight/en-us/home?category=silverlight&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:54 AM
  • I resubmitted this on the Silverlight RIA Services forum.

I know my question was vague, but the problem ended up being a result of a Delete conflict.  Two users were trying to delete the same entity, and it was throwing an error for the second user.  The real problem was my error handling code was bad, and was swallowing the error without reporting the delete conflict.  The entity changes were not being saved, but no error was being reported.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:40 AM