none
Database problems RRS feed

• Question

• Let me preface w/ this: I am an intern given an overwhelming project. I have no previous experience in SQL or Sharepoint, though I am pretty experienced with access.

I was handed an access database with about 150ish tables, 150ish forms, and queries and reports coming out the wazoo. They told me to make it accessible online. A.K.A. the data can be viewed, edited, and appended to online, along with the reports.

I was given a test server, running Windows Server 2003. I am running SQL 2005. We are looking at Sharepoint server to host the website, and have Sharepoint Designer to actually build the website up. No one is trained in any of this stuff so I have no one to ask for guidance / assistance, so there has been a lot of learning on the go / slamming my head off a ceiling.

Originally they wanted everything out of access. But due to time constraints on the project, they told me to just get something done, have something I can show to the client.

The upsizing wizard converted the tables into SQL just fine. The forms on the other hand are what's causing me problems. From what I see now I have to rebuild this complex forms one at a time, which will take me way past the time constraints. Trying to export the forms to html, asp, xml, etc. yielded dismal results. Saving the forms as data access pages was a little bit better, but only a little, major work on each form would still need to be done.

I am looking for any kind of quick and dirty solution for getting these forms online without having to rebuild the entire front end. Whether this means an Access front end with an sql backend, orAccess front end with an access background for right now, or WHATEVER, just so long as it will give me some kind of a working product.

I am not opposed to ANYTHING so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help.

Friday, July 6, 2007 3:54 PM

All replies

• Sometimes things take time. The best solution is probably to do all the forms from scratch in ASP or something, And thats probably as quick (but not too dirty) as you want it to go. How were the time constraints initially calculated? If they were based on a time invested to meet an expected return, then simply tell the manager its too expensive, maybe the time limits can be extended. If the manager or whoever estimated the time it will take simply guessed or wished how long it should take then he might like to hear your estimation and revise the time constraints or decide to take a different approach. Rushing or taking shortcuts is stupid, developing modern quality software requires a steady well thought out well planned approach, and problems in management and planning phase (like this case, its not a technical problem) make that impossible.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 5:37 PM