none
Quick Parts Not Updating in Word Document Header RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this question should be here or in the SharePoint section but here goes.  

I have created a Word document template that I am using as the template for a content type in a SharePoint library.  In the header of the template, I have inserted Quick Parts that are linked to fields on the SharePoint side.  On the creation of a new item the fields seem to work fine.  However, if I update the item properties on the SharePoint side and then open the Word document, the Quick Part fields do NOT update.  If I create the template with Quick Part fields in both the header and the body of the document, the values seem to update fine in both the body and the header.  So, in summary, it seems that if all the quick part fields are in the header of the Word document they will not update automatically.

Does anyone know if this is the case and/or if there are any solutions to address this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

Have you tested these in your local machine which with Office installed? AFAIK, if you double click a template document in local machine, Word will create a new document based on the template document rather than opening the template editablely. So saving the new created document will change nothing to the template, which I think is somehow similar with what you described.

To edit a template document, we need to open Word application first, and then open the template from open file dialog.

In addition, I would like to let you know that this forum is devote for development questions which related to Word. I would recommend you to post your question in Word Answer forum if you get no help from this reply.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards, Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:22 AM